Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 5000 Series printer - all in one

I have scanned an image and it appears fine on screen.  However, when I come to print, part of the image is cut off - the bottom and right hand side.  Print preview looks fine. I have tried it in Word, Publisher and PowerPoint and direct from the JPEG image.  I have checked document properties - general everyday printing, paper size and orientation.

When I tried sending it to my old (terrible) printer, it printed fine - just terrible quality!

My printer is quite new (April 2018) and it is the first time that I have needed to print an image that I have scanned.  Am I missing something obvious?  (It's my design for this year's Christmas card, so needed urgently!)

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@SueB731

Ideas - general observations

Word (and other Office products) do "better" when an Image is INSERTED into the document as opposed to using any form of copy / paste.

At the least, you should be able to print the image from the ".jpg" file.  The problem, if there is one, MIGHT stem from the shape of the image as compared to the shape of the paper on which you wish to print the photo / image.  This is called the Aspect Ratio and simply means that the shape of the image (width and height) must be the same "shape" as the paper on which that image will be printed.  If the "shape" of the image does not match the shape of the paper, the image may be distorted, the borders may be larger or smaller on one side or another, or the image may appear "chopped".

Try using a software to print you image file that helps you understand (and select) the right paper for the job:

Download, Save, and install:

HP Photo Creations

For Windows...

After the software is installed:

Click Start (windows key) > all apps > scroll the list 

Open Category HP

Find the HP Photo Creations application

Right-Click on the application and PIN to Start

Help and Support for HP Photo Creations:

HP Photo Creations Support & Tips

The Dragon documents are primarily helpful for those using Windows.

Dragon Document – Collection of Help, Suggestions, and Examples:

Print - Programs_and_Methods

Topics / Sections – various, including:

• Preparation
  • HP Photo Creations for Windows and Mac
    • Example 3 - Photo Creations – Passport Photos
  • Printing with Paint (mspaint)
    • What is 100%
    • Print Photo at Desired Size
    • Example – Hawk photo 5 - Scaling - “Adjust to” 100% - Passport Photos
  • Printing Photos with Windows Photo Viewer for Windows
  • Considering Aspect Ratio

Dragon Document – Collection of Help, suggestions, and examples:

Manage Print Output with Print Preview

Search for "Things that are Word" and "Chopped" and / or "Text box"

Matching products for United States (4)

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
  1. Many thanks for your suggestion but sadly, I don't think that this is the problem.  I always insert my images into a box of some kind e.g. in Publisher, they go into a picture box, so I can measure them to get the size that I want. But even with the jpeg file my (square) image was well within the paper size and I know about the aspeçt ratio.   I also tried to print off a Publisher document that I used last Christmas - to see if the problem was just this particular new  image.  However  I hit just the same problem with last year's card design, though it was fine when I printed it last year on my previous HP printer that died!  And the image is fine on my old Canon printer (though the quality isn't good enough for my requirements.  So I think that the problem has got to be somewhere in my new printer.

i live in hope for a solution!

So I am still at a loss to know what is going wrong.

i will take a look at the various pieces of software that you suggest.

kind regadrds

Sue

HP Recommended

@SueB731

You are welcome.

The printer itself is ignorant of the vagaries of image borders, size, and presentation.  The program you are using to create, insert, save, and present the image is perhaps part of the issue in that the Office (or other) software is apparently not working correctly with the print driver (printer software that interfaces with the printer hardware).   So, it might be the printer in that sense.  Regardless, the details do not matter; it doesn't work.  Rats.

IF you are using a previously created document (say you have opened the "old" document for the purpose of updating the content for this year), consider instead creating a "new" document.  If the problem is something within the Normal.dotm template (for example as used in Word), then opening a new, blank document and adding content "from scratch" may help.  At the least, the experiment won't take too long to try..

Good Luck.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Yep - I've already tried creating a new document - in fact this was what I did first, before I opened the old one. I'm at a complete loss.  Wonder if it's worth uninstalling and reinstalling the printer (though I'd probably better get some help with that.

thanks again though.  Any other suggestions gratefully received.

kind regards,

Sue

HP Recommended

@SueB731

There are four printers that came up in the search:

Select your model to open the Software and Driver page for your printer.

If necessary click the Change button to enter your OS and the Version of your Operating System.

For Windows:  Look for the Full Feature or Full Solution Software (exact name depends on your model).

For Mac OS:  The software is likely designated as HP Easy Start.  (??)

It is possible that uninstalling the printer software and then installing a fresh version might help.

The exact instructions depend on your Operating System (unknown).

The results depend on whether your particular OS and the version of the Operating System are supported.

I don't speak Mac OS; I might be able to provide more help for Windows - if you need Windows help, supply your exact version of Windows and your printer model.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon Fur,

Mine is the HP Envy 5000 All in One printer series.  

This sounds like it is reaching the point where I need to get "the man" to come and sort it.  Or maybe the grandchild!  

But thank you for your suggestions.  I'm clearly not missing something obvious.  Alternatively, I will just need to reclean the print heads on my Canon and see if I can make that do a better job.  Up to now, the new HP has been great and I don't want to be defeated by it.

kind regards,

Sue

HP Recommended

@SueB731

You are welcome.

Yes, sometimes a fresh set of eyes on the problem can help.  Smiling.

Kids can know more about computers -- and maybe printers, too -- than almost everyone.  "Born to it".  Smiling.

Oh, if you have not done so, make sure all your Office Software is updated.  If you are running Windows, this can usually be accomplished through Windows Updates.  Office Software does NOT answer the problem about why you cannot simply open the jpg file and print the image from there, of course.

I am curious...  Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee I have not missed something obvious, though at the moment it does appear to be an odd problem that is unusually persistent.

The following applies if your Operating System is a recent version of Windows.

Note that there is a relatively new firmware update for your printer - after you have installed the Full Feature Software, consider updating the firmware (if it has not already been done).  All things equal, updating the firmware might help when other options fail to provide the expected (hoped for) results.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hint:  For best results, do not ignore the suggested Restart sequences.

Printer Software – Uninstall Existing Software

If the software is already installed and you want (need) to uninstall it:

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Scroll down, click, and Uninstall the software

After the software is removed, Restart the computer and log in

If printer software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and then shows up again, or is otherwise not “going away” when you tell it to do so, try an Uninstaller program.

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

Printer Software – Lurking in the Device Manager

If, after the Restart, the printer is still lurking about in the Device Manager, remove it.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Expand category Printers

If any printer name or “Unknown Device” is listed,

Right-Click on the printer / device > Uninstall

Restart the computer and log in

Printer Software - Installation

NOTE:  If using USB, disconnect the USB cable between the printer and the computer before starting the installation.  Connect the cable when instructed to do so (toward the end of the installation procedure).

Download, save, and install the Full Feature Software for your Operating System version

After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Video help

NOTE:  Videos may be found in one or more locations (depending on printer / software / version)

Open the printer Software and Drivers page >

Scroll down and select Related Videos > Click View All >

Find and view the relevant video

AND / OR

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

Open the printer support Homepage >

Scroll down and select Video Tutorials > Click View All >

Find and view the relevant video

Firmware

Consider installing the printer Firmware

READ (when provided) all instructions before installing the firmware

If / After the firmware is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Reminder:  Firmware is normally updated after the printer software is installed / functional.

Good Luck.  If I am suddenly filled with enlightenment on the subject, I will post back.  Smiling.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have not have time to read through all the replies. But I think the correct technique has not been posted.

The simple and straight forward solution to this image on document being partially cut off is to paste images only come with .JPG format.

Please try it.

RC

HP Recommended

Please see my solution.

The simple and straight forward solution to this image on document being partially cut off is to paste images only come with .JPG format.

Please try it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.