Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
envy 5660
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was printing and the printing stopped.  It has showed out of paper ever since.  All drivers are current.  

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello, @DukeFan1 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I see that your Envy printer is not picking up the paper. Do not worry, I found a wonderful document which will help you fix this issue!

Go to http://hp.care/2ssU6e6 and perform the steps listed here. Make sure to clean the paper pick rollers and paper feed rollers as explained in the document.

If the issue persists, try performing a power drain and check:

·         With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

·         Remove USB cable, if present.

·         Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

·         Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

·         Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle and try making a copy.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I have a similar problem - 2 Windows 10 laptops, one Lenovo, one HP. I can print to this printer form the Lenovo laptop with no problems. However, the HP laptop always shows 'Out of paper' message and nothing will print. There are no messages on the printer display itself and I am able to print a status report from the printer. I have gone through all the reset and cleaning tasks pointed out by several entries, but still have the same results - I am unable to print from the HP laptop. Please help.

HP Recommended

@ks_stretch,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• What is the exact model for your printer?
  • What is the exact issue you are facing?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer? 

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Exact model of printer: HP Envy 5660 Model Number SDGOB-1401-01 

Two separate laptop computers:

Lenovo W530 w/Windows 10 installed - prints with no problem

HP ProBook 450 G2 w/Windows 10 installed - Symptoms have changed. No longer does the printer status from Windows show "out of paper", now when I send something to print I receive "Error - Printing" in the print queue.

I will say it has been a while since I have used this printer. It started making terrible noises and would always jam when printing duplex so I quit using this in favor of another printer. I decided to resurrect this printer and use it for simplex printing only of small documents, but am experiencing problems from only one laptop. I have removed and reinstalled the printer multiple times on the failing laptop to no avail. Interesting...

I have tried installing the printer using only the Windows supplied driver and the full blown software downloaded from the HP site - symptoms are the same for either installation. The laptop that woks without error is using only the Windows supplied print driver for the printer.

I have been through printer reset and cleaning procedures. The printer will print a status report from the panel without error.

I have tried pausing Virus Protection software with no difference in results from the HP laptop.

I don't know what else I can tell you. Hopefully this will be enough to help diagnose the problem - only from the HP laptop!

HP Recommended

@ks_stretch,

Thank you for the information.

I recommend you root uninstall the printer and then reinstall and check if it helps.

Here is how it is done.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Restart the PC

14.) Download and install the printer software from the below link.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I went through the outlined procedures and get the same results - "Error - Printing" in the print queue.

I went through the process and downloaded the basic driver - HP ENVY 5660 e-All-in-One Printer Series Basic Driver - file name EN5660_Basicx64_40.13.1176.exe.

I then executed the downloaded driver file. Once setup completed I attempted to print a test page and got the same error as before. So, I went back through the whole procedure again, restarted the laptop, and executed the driver file using "Run as Administrator". Same result.

This is really becoming rather frustrating considering that I have another laptop from which I can print to this printer with no error. And, I also have a HP Photosmart 7520 printer that I can print to from both laptops.

I appreciate your assistance with this matter but I must say I am beginning to develop a less than favorable opinion of HP because of this.

Let's boil this down:

- I can print to both HP printers, Envy 5660 & Photosmart 7520, from a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10.

- From HP laptop running Windows 10 I can print to Photosmart 7520 printer but NOT to Envy 5660 printer.

HP Recommended

@ks_stretch,

Follow the below steps and check.

Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard to bring up the run menu.

Type %temp% in the run field, and click OK.

Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

Open folder Util

Open folder CCC

Run the uninstall_ L4.bat

When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard to bring up the run menu.

Type %programfiles% in the run field and click OK.

Delete any HP/Hewlett Packard folders.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK, now I am really unhappy!

I went to %temp% - no folder starting with '7z' so I was unable to execute L4.bat. I probably should have stopped at that point.

I went to %programfiles% and was unable to delete the HP/Hewlett Packard folders because some files were in use by running programs. So, thinking that you know what you are talking about and that these folders should be removed, I booted Windows in Safe mode and removed the folders.

After reboot in normal mode the HP Envy 5660 shows 'Driver not found' so I cannot print to it. I attempted to uninstall HP Envy 5660 from program list but it states that driver files cannot be found so the program will not uninstall. I'm pretty sure this is because I deleted the HP/Hewlett Packard folders.

You have successfully led me to a point where I still cannot print to the HP Envy 5660 printer and now I have an orphaned program installed that I cannot uninstall.

At least I can still print to the HP Photosmart 7520.

I'm not sure at this point whether I want more instructions from you, but I would like to know how I can get rid of the orphaned HP Envy 5660 program. I tried installing it again, but that process ended very quickly indicating basically that the program is already installed.

Any other words of wisdom?

HP Recommended

Hi @ks_stretch

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this, they should be able to assist you by taking a remote access. 

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.