Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp photosmart 6520
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

MY printer keeps saying it is offline and shows this in the print page but I am unable to untick the box or get it back to online again.. however, I am able to print an internal print page.. I am not very up to date on these things so an idiots guide to help me rectify it would be greatly appreciated.  thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @isabell1 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.

I understand that your printer is displaying “Printer Offline” message while trying to print, but is printing from the Print scan doctor while tried printing an “internal test page”. Follow the steps below to assign a manual IP and assign a new "port" to fix this issue:

• Restart your printer.
  • Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address) Apply the settings and close the page.

After setting a manual IP address for the printer, add a printer port to Windows that matches this new IP address.

• Search Windows for devices, and then select “Devices and Printers” in the list of results.
  • Right-click the name of your printer, and then select “Printer Properties”.
  • The Properties window opens.
  • Click the “Ports” tab, and then click “Add Port”.
  • Select “Standard TCP/IP Port”, and then click “New Port”.
  • Type the printer’s IP address that you wrote down earlier, and then click “Next”.
  • Select the new “Standard TCP/IP Port” from the list, and then click “OK”.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the setup. Now try printing.

Also, try some general steps mentioned here to fix the issue: http://hp.care/2cMnatl

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome.

Good luck & Wish you a very happy new year 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello, @isabell1 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.

I understand that your printer is displaying “Printer Offline” message while trying to print, but is printing from the Print scan doctor while tried printing an “internal test page”. Follow the steps below to assign a manual IP and assign a new "port" to fix this issue:

• Restart your printer.
  • Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address) Apply the settings and close the page.

After setting a manual IP address for the printer, add a printer port to Windows that matches this new IP address.

• Search Windows for devices, and then select “Devices and Printers” in the list of results.
  • Right-click the name of your printer, and then select “Printer Properties”.
  • The Properties window opens.
  • Click the “Ports” tab, and then click “Add Port”.
  • Select “Standard TCP/IP Port”, and then click “New Port”.
  • Type the printer’s IP address that you wrote down earlier, and then click “Next”.
  • Select the new “Standard TCP/IP Port” from the list, and then click “OK”.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the setup. Now try printing.

Also, try some general steps mentioned here to fix the issue: http://hp.care/2cMnatl

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome.

Good luck & Wish you a very happy new year 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.