Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2540
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi - I have multiple issues with this printer, but the ink cartridge missing message is the show-stopper.

What I've done:

- Replaced ink cartridge two days ago and got this message. I assumed it was a bad cartridge so I removed it and inserted a second ink cartridge and it worked perfectly. I returned the first cartridge to Office Depot for credit and all was well.

- Today, I'm getting that missing ink cartridge message again, without having changed anything. So, the second, working ink cartridge from two days ago is now throwing that error. 

- I did remove the cartridge and clean the connections as recommended by the HP site. 

- I tried to update the firmware on the printer by downloading the driver from the HP site but the driver app install cannot find my printer. My computer can see my printer and it is through the Mac-native printer utility that I'm able to see the missing ink cartridge message.

- I long ago lost the ability to contact to this printer via bluetooth. I read about it then and there was something about Mac OS incompatibility. So I just connect with a usb cable.

This feels like I need to update software or firmware but I'm at a loss for what to do. The additional piece of the puzzle is that this is indeed a new Mac. I recently got a new iMac, I'd been using a MacBook Pro. (I spilled a glass of wine on the laptop and fried it but it was 8 years old so time to upgrade anyway.)

Any ideas?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Renee2121

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you

Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. We appreciate your patience.

Let's try a power reset on the printer

Reset the product

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn the printer on. HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

Try the steps in the document --Error Indicates Faulty Ink Cartridge

The printer you own can work in single-cartridge mode, wherein the printer will be able to print with one cartridge in the printer.which will help us identify if its a cartridge issue or a printhead issue 

To try single-cartridge mode follow the below steps:

remove the black ink from the printer, leave the color in and try printing 
then remove the color ink and, insert the black  in and try printing 

You can update the firmware with a USB connection, refer- HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.