Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Office jet pro

Hi, I haven’t used my printer for nearly 4 years since it ran out of the first lot of ink can I start to use it again now if I purchase new ink or would there be problems. I only used printer for a few weeks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Jackie5_14 ,

Welcome to the HP Support-Community.

The printhead will be dried out after four years. If you buy new cartridges, you would probably need to run several cartridge cleans. But actually, four years is a long time and there is no guarantee that this will work...

Can you please provide us with your exact printer model?

Cheers!

Nils

Did you get a solution to your question? Please mark it as solved.

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

I don't work on behalf of HP. | HP Expert program 

HP Recommended

The printer is an HP office jet pro 6830 serial no [Personal Information Removed] sorry for late reply I am unwell.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. On this printer, you officially can't remove the printhead so you could just try to run an automatic cartridge clean program.  When you turn the printer on, are there any messages that the printhead may be faulty? If there are no messages regarding the printhead on the display, you could try to install new cartridges and to print something.

But as I said, there is no guarantee that the printer will be working again.

@Jackie5_14 wrote:

sorry for late reply I am unwell.

I wish you a fast recovery! 😃

Cheers!

Nils

Did you get a solution to your question? Please mark it as solved.

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

I don't work on behalf of HP. | HP Expert program 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.