• post a message
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Printer is able to print via network but will not scan

HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640 e-All-In-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My printer is wirelessly connected to the network. I can print and until recently could also scan using the HP Smart Software.  I am now unable to scan.  Printing is fine.  Issue is that the in the HP Smart App, the Printer status is unknown and system says that the printer has not finished alignment.  The Windows Image Acquisition Services is paused.  I have run the HP Smart Software diagnostics.  I have realigned the printer from the device itself.  I have downloaded and run the HP Printer and Scan Doctor software, upgraded all software and drivers.  I have rebooted the printer as well as my laptop.  Still says that the printer alignment is not finished.  Not sure what to do.  Thanks for your help.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,711 12,688 1,001 967
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MarlaRez, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you are unable to scan remove the printer software, and then reinstall the latest driver.

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the printer, if it is connected.

NOTE: 

Do not remove your printer from the wireless network.

2. In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.

3. Under Programs or Programs and Features, click Uninstall a program to open the list of installed programs.

4. Click the name of your HP printer to open the uninstall confirmation window, and then click Yes to remove the software.

5. Make sure the printer is turned on, cartridges are installed, and plain paper is loaded in the main input tray.

6. Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, type your printer model, and then click Download next to the full feature driver under Driver-Product Installation Software.

Click Download next to the full feature driver

7. Follow the instructions to download and install the driver or app. During installation, make sure you select the Full Feature software option, and then follow the steps to set up the printer connection.

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) is a Windows service that helps communication between the computer and scanners. If WIA is not activated, scan jobs can fail.

• 1. In Windows, search for and open View local services .

• 2. In the Services window, scroll down the list and find Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) .

• 3. Look at the Status and Startup Type values.

• If the status is Started or Running and the Startup Type is Automatic, WIA is running correctly. Skip to the next step.

Making sure WIA Status is Running and Startup Type is Automatic

• If the status is Disabled or no status displays, right-click Windows Image Acquisition (WIA), click Properties, click the General tab, select Automatic from the Startup type dropdown menu, and then click Start.

If the Start button is grayed out, go back to the Services menu, make sure Remote Procedure Call, Shell Hardware Detection, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and DCOM Server Process Launcher are running and set as Automatic, and then start WIA.

Try to scan. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation