Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 7720
Linux

I purchased this printer two days ago for home use and have found it to work well.

However, I have one slight niggle.  At odd times during the day and night the printer keeps coming out of Energy Save Mode for no apparent reason and then re-entering it after the programmed setting of 5 minutes.  To the best of my knowledge, none of the devices that have access to this printer are requesting service.  My network is a heterogeneous  system which includes Windows 10, Linux, Android and iPadOS devices, as well as some games consoles and a NAS Box.

Can anyone suggest why this might be occurring?  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@TerryC64

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try a firmware update: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the printer set to 'Install updates automatically (required)' and in addition, I have run the 'Check Firmware' command from the printer and also from the Web interface.

The first time I powered up the printer, it downloaded and installed Version ELLISXLP1N003.1942A.00 (Built date 2019-10-18).  Now it simply returns 'The printer is up to date.  No new updates are available this time'.

HP Recommended

@TerryC64

Please try restoring the printer settings to defaults -

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).
2. Touch Printer Maintenance .
3. Touch Restore.

4. Touch Restore Factory Defaults.
A message appears stating that the factory defaults will be restored.
5. Touch Continue.

Let me know how that goes.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have carried out the procedure that you suggested and will monitor the situation over the coming days to see if the printer comes out Energy Save Mode when it shouldn't.

However, I feel that I should mention that no-one in this household noticed the problem yesterday, even though everyone noticed it on the two previous days.  Is it possible that HP's servers were accessing the printer to check the Firmware Version (or vice-versa; the printer was accessing HP's servers for the same reason)?  Presumably there has to be some kind of contact with the servers on a regular basis, in order that the automatic firmware updating function would work.  Is it likely that this would turn on the display backlight?

HP Recommended

Hi @TerryC64

That's possible! Work on the printer and let us know 🙂

Thanks! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.