Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

HP Officejet Pro 8500A  910g

The printer will not print:  the message is:  printer mechanism error:  the print cartridge cradle cannot move.  Free the cartidge cradle and press ok.

How do I free the cartridge cradle?  I sent a message at 1:30 PM and I got a notice that they will contact me within one hour,   it is now almost 7 PM and no one has emailed me back.  Help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try the troubleshooting steps in this page.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Try the troubleshooting steps in this page.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Below is the message I'm getting when I try to print. The cradle is moving; it can go back and forth.  I've experimented with unplugging the computer and leaving it alone for over 2 hours, then plugging it back in. That didn't work.  There is no paper jam. 

Mechanism Error: The print cartridge cradle cannot move. Turn the printer off, free the cartridge cradle, and turn the printer back on.
Check the printer for errors

I also just got a message when I tried to print again "Filter failed."

HP Recommended

Hello Joan914,

I understand that you are getting an error message about the carriage being stuck, when indeed it does actually move. To confirm all the steps in this document 'A 'Carriage Jam' or '0X610000F6' Message Displays on the All-in-One'.

To find more specific steps to assist with this error message, I would just need to know a couple of more things.
1) What is the full model number of your product. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2039298-1862169-16
2) What version of Windows are you currently running. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_5004190-4987856-16

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I, too, have a printer error that says the cartridge cradle cannot move.  However, ther cradle is moving fine.  I have tried the resets and there is no paper jam present.

The error has occurred after getting a new computer HP S2031 with Windows 8 and downloading a driver from HPs website for my HP C3180 All-In-One.  It has printed a test sheet once, but no longer responds except to send this error.

Thank you for help in saving my printer!

HP Recommended

I have this problem, too, with an OfficeJet 8500 A909g. But when I try to click on the links provided in this thread, I get sent back to the choose a language page. What is wrong? This has never happened before.

In my case, I had a paper jam last night. It took me an hour and a half to get all the paper out, and it is very possible that I may have done something to cause the carriage to jam. I have no idea how to "free the cartridge cradle." And since I cannot get to any of links here, I don't know how to proceed.

HP Recommended

Addendum: I just clicked to get to the dialog box, and it says "filter failed."

HP Recommended

I have an ALL In ONe 4315 Officejet tells me the cradle is stuck will not move but it is going back and forth I am pretty sure?  The paper is jamming when it initially starts to print and is stuck with me having to pull it back out.  PLEASE HELP!  Tried turning on and off and resetting the same issue  the paper jams immediately as if it is being pushed from the edges inwards...?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.