Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Printer message 0x00004a; said to contact HP...

HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I turned on my OfficeJet Pro 6978 this mornning, and got the following message:

"There is a problem with the printer or print system. Turn the printer Off, then On. If you continue to get this message, contact HP. 0x6100004a"

I turned in Off and then On again, as instructed, and still got this message. What does it mean, what's the problem with the printer, and what can I do to fix it? Thanks in advance for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
385 375 23 104
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I suggest resetting the printer as a first step:

In some cases, removing the ink cartridges and resetting the printer can clear the error message.
  1. Turn on the printer.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer. If your printer has a network or wireless connection, leave it connected.
  4. Remove the ink cartridges from the printer.
  5. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.
  6. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  7. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
       NOTE:
    HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to a wall outlet.
  8. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  9. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
    The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
  10. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
  11. Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door.
  12. If you receive a prompt to print a calibration page, do so.
  13. If you disconnected the USB cable, reconnect it to the rear of the printer.
  14. Try to print.
-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
385 375 23 104
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If a printer reset does not resolve the issue, I suggest following the steps in this document:

'Ink System Failure' or '0x ...' Error Code Displays

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
Highlighted
Level 3
Level 3
24 24 2 4
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello! 

It sounds like you have done the first step (by restarting) on the list here but I would also try the following steps as well!

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-6970-all-in-one-printer-series/8289585/model/1...

If none of the proactive steps listed in the link about don't resolve the issue, you might also consider restarting the printing system via the settings menu.

Thanks!

Clayton

I am an HP Employee.
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation