Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 9020
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I just bought the OfficeJet Pro 9020 All-in-one. I have a wireless network. I'm a Mac user. When I installed printer (I replaced an HP Envy) I was using macOS Mojave (I just updated to Catalina but this is not an option under Operating System above).  I'm using the HPSmart app. Even before I updated to Catalina, I would get the message "Printer Not Connected" (it did this with Mojave and now with Catalina). If I go to the printer and hit the network icon, it will eventually print (I think this is "waking up" the printer). I then went to setup and noticed that there are "sleep" options of 5, 10, 15, 30 min etc - but not "never").

I also noticed that there is a "Wi-Fi Direct Settings" so I turned on Wi-Fi Direct. There is a "Connection Method" with choice of "Automatic" or "Manual" - I set it to Automatic.

I think the problem is the printer goes to sleep and when the computer tries to connect, it is sleeping. My printer is not in the same room as the computer and walking over to "wake up" the printer is ridiculous. How do I keep it from going to sleep or do I need to buy another brand of printer?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I'll add that when I print something and the printer queue window opens, it says "Printing - looking for printer". I can go off for an hour or two and return to find my document has printed. So, at some point, the printer wakes up and prints. This is not acceptable. When I print, I want it to print.

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 1.31.16 PM.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.