Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro L7780
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Back in October of 2017 I was having a problem with quality color printing. I was told then that the Printerhead needed to be replaced. So I purchased new Printerheads for Black/Yello & Magenta/Cyan) along with a few more ink cartidges. I replaced them without any problem. However the quality was inconsistent sometimes it printed great other times streaks ran throughout the project or a color was missing from the printout.

I ran all the internal tools checked the forum and eventually the problem corrected itself (after 25 or thirty wasted pages of paper and hours of lost time.  Frustrating is an understatement.  As stated previouslty since Sept of last year 2017 the reliability of the printy quality was hit or mis. Today the printer went compltely bonkers. Before goiung throught the steps I took last time to correct the situation I ran a Diagnostic Page. Results Printheads Warranty ends in July 2019, Ink Cartidges more than 50% full and Expire in 2020. Over the life of the printer I have only printed a totla of 29366 pages. So basically everytihing accoring to the Dignostic page was good. 

So I went through the same routine of powering down, and reseating printerheads, cleaning printerheads, reseating Ink cartridges, Align, etc etc. If it could be done or recommended it be done I did it.  At first the result was the (Blk/Yellow Printhead was bad. I reseated it, and then it cane back and said Magenta/Cyan Printhead was bad, so I reseated it. That problem cleared ran clean printheads, and no Cyan, very little Yellow.  I went through reseating the Ink Cartidges again and powering down via the front panel and then unplugging it for several minutes.  I repowered the printer and after several minutes of reboot self test it came up and said the Yellow and Black ink cartidges were alomst empty. Really a few minutes ago they were fine; half full.  I powered it down again and unplugged it from the wall and then again let it go through it own self boot this time no error mesaages. SO I attempted to print and it printed minus the cyan again. 

So I reran all the same self test and nothing resolved the issue.  I would just toss it off a bridge right now if I could find one.  That said this has been a great relaible printer for mmany years and I have about $200 of unopen ink cartidges invested in getting this printer working again.  So I have read and have done everything posted on resoling this type of issue and with no resuls at this point.  I am open for NEW Ideas, or a phone number or a certified repair place so I can get back to work !

Thanks in advance for your help ! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

Thank you for your resonses they were helpful. By replacing Printerhead the problem I was having with no Cyan printing went away, at least for now. Soo I will consider the issues resolved.

Regards,

Ray

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @RM8168v2,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues while printing in color from your HP OfficeJet printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

Are you using genuine HP ink cartridges or refilled cartridges?

Have you tried to clean the ink cartridge contacts?

Are you able to make a copy from the printer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

If the copy comes out bad, then I would suggest here is to follow all the steps suggested in the support document for - Fixing Print Quality Problems for the HP Officejet Pro L7500, L7600, and L7700 All-in-One Printer Se... (This document includes the steps which are suggested for color or black not printing).

If the copy comes out fine, then it looks like an issue with the print drivers. Hence, I would suggest you perform a clean install to get the printer connected to your PC. Here are the steps:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Now click on this link : http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL32021/mp-109988-3/OJ_AIO_L7X00_Full_Win_WW_140_408-5.exe to download and install the latest printer software.

Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Restart the PC once done and then try to print.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet thank you for the troubleshooting tips and methods. All are appreciated. See response below.  And Note Customer Support is sending me a NEW Magenta / Cyan Print Head should be here this Friday. Until then the printer is out of service because I had to ship the old one to them first.

Response for what I do know prior to removing Print Head.

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started? None

Are you using genuine HP ink cartridges or refilled cartridges?All Ink and Prionterhead directly from HP

Have you tried to clean the ink cartridge contacts? Yes multiple times using HP perscribed method

Are you able to make a copy from the printer? I can make a copy, but no Blue (Cyan) or other colrs requiring Cyan ink.

Print drivers and other software updates to printer are done via HP perscribed updates. There havenbeen any real updates for driver or software for my printer form a long time. I checked whats available and what is on the printer and they match.

As for the other Troubleshooting steps you mention below I have done those, I saw those steps in other messages regrading printerhead and  quality print topics. These steps were worht doing, however they did not resolve the issue with no Cyan (Blue) printing.

Once I have the new Printerhead what steps should I take prior to  installing or post installation of the printerhead?

HP Recommended

Hi @RM8168v2,

Thank you for replying,

I'm glad to hear you were able that you have contacted the phone support and they have placed an order. There is nothing much you would have to do, all you need is to follow the correct procedure for installing the printhead and then make once in two weeks to clean the printhead. This should take care of all the issues. 

Please take your time and get back to us once you have received the part. 

If you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

Thank you for your resonses they were helpful. By replacing Printerhead the problem I was having with no Cyan printing went away, at least for now. Soo I will consider the issues resolved.

Regards,

Ray

HP Recommended

Hi @RM8168v2 ,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh , but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Barachiel & I'm at your service.

Hurray!!! I'm delighted to hear that it's working! Feel free to reach out to us again. Have a great day. 🙂

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead. 

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have had the same problems and have tried the same solutions.  If the printheads need to be replaced, how do I do that?

HP Recommended

Hi @Mary145

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please try these steps - Fixing Print Quality Problems

Solution#6 has the steps to replace the printheads. 

If the issue still persists, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Having the same issues.  Tried the same steps. None of which worked.  Still not printing.  Hours involved.  You are not alone.  

HP Recommended

Hi @S-Jones1

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Appreciate you trying the steps. I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this. 

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.