12-11-2019 09:00 AM
My 6978 printer is showing offline. All tests show that printer has access to the internet and the printer itself shows that it's connected wirelessly to the network. But when I try to print it shows offline. When I ran HP Print and Scan Doctor, it finds the printer but then says "can't connect to your device". I have tried everything I can think of but printer just isn't showing up or is shown as offline. Should I uninstall then reinstall or ???? Thanks for any help you can give this very frustrated user!
12-13-2019 09:41 AM
Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.
This seems like a connectivity issue, let us try these steps to resolve this issue:
- Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same wireless network.
- This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. So, the PC should be on the 2.4GHz network.
- If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.
Restart the network devices
- Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer/ mobile devices.
- Wait for 60 seconds.
- Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.
- Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.
- Turn on the computer/ mobile devices.
Now, try accessing the EWS page of the printer to check the connectivity
- Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
- Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
- If you get any security notification, click on show details/advanced and 'proceed to this website'.
- Go to Tools > Print a test page.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee