Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Dell Inspiron 3650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer prints correctly most of the time and printed the $10 coupon from wireless laptop.

However the same printer connected to my Dell PC won't print the $10 coupon that I copied into Microsoft Word.

The coupon is clearly shown on the display. However the printer prints a picture, see paper print out attached.

CIMG0819.JPGCIMG0820.JPG

Coupon is on MS Word,  What prints is not on my display!  I checked the print que, shut down the printer, saved the word coupon then restarted the computer and tried it the 6th time. Still prints a picture. Attached is the picture of the coupon on my screen and a pictures of what keeps printing!  This is not the first time from the Uno's web site.  This makes no sense, where is the picture coming from after reset and power down?

JJG
13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@jgeng, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that the image printed and the image you sent are different. If you're printing of internet this could be a misprint. Let us try to isolate and resolve the issue-

What happens when you try to print any text document/picture from the computer?

What happens when you make photocopies?

If the above situations above provide normal outputs, I'd recommend you try to delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for the HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Use this link to download and install the new driver. Configure the printer and try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer prints my old documents fine. Prints photo's, print new documents made in Excel. Printed all my support documents with pictures imbedded for my taxes. I keep checking the layout and paper size is set to letter. The problem seems to be when I cut and paste a screen capture into MS Word, resize it to less bytes, set the text word wrap to top and Bottom using Microsoft Picture manager like i have for 10 plus years. Now doing the same thing with screen capture for List of my stocks. Size looks good, well within margins, no top nor bottom header. Page or mutli-page view looks perfect. Print preview looks perfect.  Then you print that page and you get something else, magnified view of 1/3rd of the page. If I E-mail it to my Microsoft Surface Pro and she prints to my same printer HP Envy 5544 (5540 series)  it prints correctly so it can't be the printer nor the driver. What I  see on events 12/20/20  looks like Windows update mention AMD and printer migrated?   In printer preferences Auto Configuration is OFF. In Word Print menu (NO Scaling) so I don't know why the fonts are getting magnified and only 1/3rd of the page gets printed, result is not what is on the computer display!!. Image on Display.JPGPrintout_1_3rd.JPG

JJG
HP Recommended

@jgeng

Thanks for replying!

Like you mentioned it could be an application issue. Try updating the application or you can also remove and reinstall the applications.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks I deleted the printer Envy 5540 series (USB). When I reloaded it it no longer says USB, and no longer see a place to change the setup from Wifi to USB, Added it again as default to my desk top, with USB and have the other logical printer connected to the laptop as wifi. 

I wonder if i should delete or deselect the print spooler as there is only my wife and I on the router.

Problems started with the last MS update -12/20/10 . List AMD even though my PC's are Intel and it also caused several things to migrate. 

Now the scanner no longer scans from the scanner's touch screen, get com error. However with the new software I now have a Scanner Icon on my Desktop or Task bar. From the Scan Icon it communicates just fine and documents go to my scan folder. 

I just have to switch between PDF or Jpeg.   

JJG
HP Recommended

I'll let you know it it does it again. I wonder if the print spooler had stored a portion of a picture where it had paper size of 10"x11". Printer and document had paper size (Letter). I wonder if in the updates someone added paper size to spooler software instead of letting the application like word or Excel dictate the paper size. 

Thanks Jgeng70  

JJG
HP Recommended

@jgeng

Sure, keep me posted 🙂

Thanks!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Excel doc on Display has 12 lines, Printer prints only 6 lines, left is empty paper with Yahoo Finace Header not shown on my display since it was cropped out! 

I didn't get an answer back relative to the print spooler causing the page size change. As I mentioned shouldn't MS word control the page size and layout to the spooler and to the printer.  I can't understand how or why the print spooler caused the problem. Most people would never had Found my problem as you can only find it by going to the Control Panel, select each logical printer, (wee both use the same printer) but mine is USB, hers is via Wifi. Next General check in Paper Available [Letter} not 10x11. After 8 years of not having the problem I know it is not my application, MS word but the MS update 12/20. I 'm thinking I could  Do I need to deactivate the spooler since my wife rarely prints the same time as me. So far everything is fine now.

JJG
HP Recommended

Good to hear your an HP Employee because I can't get an answer for the Scanner part of the Printer also started after MS update 12/20. Touch the printers touch screen, Scan to Desktop (address #) select PDF or JPG like always but now get a communication error. Strange since the Desktop is connected via USB. Can't be a communication error since it communicates just fine if I use the Scanner Icon that appears on my Desktop, then task bar after I select it. Select PDF or JPG and it scans just fine. None of the Q&A talk about this change. Spent hours figuring how to get the scanner working again after MS added that update. Downloading the latest driver did nothing, it says I have the latest Driver. My original CD was for Windows XP but with the updates it works on the new computer with Windows 10, Windows Universal Printer Drivers. 

JJG
HP Recommended

@jgeng

Thanks for replying!

This further requires remote assistance.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region for further course of action.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.