Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Mine did the same thing. Can someone tell me that who has no idea of technology tell me what this means and what I need to do. Thanks.
HP Recommended
I too have had this problem on a printer at my work. It's an imageRunner 2525. My biggest concerns here is that I work at a hotel, so protecting personal information is very important. What should I be doing to prevent this from being a problem?
HP Recommended

I have had the same hack. It occcurred during the night time hours and printed the same message on my HP Laserjet printer. It does not have WiFi, however I do have a static IP address and the printer is connected to my Apple wireless router by way of the USB port. So far 2 nights in a row, printed pages appear on my printer. First night it said that same innocuous message. The second sheet showed my IP Address follwed by :9100. The second night, it had no message; just my IP address again. Obviously someone is proving that they can hack through the IP address into the printer to print when all my computer equipment (except printer and router) are shut down.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't think this is related solely to HP printers as we have had this on a Bizhub printer.

We have had this incident on 3 seperate printers in our organisation in different branches and think it originates for another device on the network. It may be VPN related.

We are currently checking all the devices on the network for malware that has not been picked up by other other installed antivirus programs.

HP Recommended

What needs to be done to prevent these print outs is the creation of firewall rules to limit traffic to the printers to own IP.

The printers affected probably all have NAT port forwarding rules set to pass jobs over port 9100 to a local printer. If you create a firewall rule to only allow traffic on this port from your ip then this should prevent any other parties sending print jobs to these printers.

Although could be wrong.

HP Recommended

Lookup port scans. Thats all this is. Your printer being wireless has nothing to do with it and your computer doesnt need to be on for it to happen. The short version, an "attacker" sends out packets and scans for an open port on your network, once an open port is found data is sent. If your router is on and your printer is on and in anyway attached, it can happen. Research your router security settings and see if there is a way to block incoming requests. It is in no way an HP issue and I would imagine, most if not all HP printers have no way to stop such "attacks". It is network related. Also, you can check your routers logs to see which port the attacks are coming through and if its not a port your regular systems use for printing, you can block them...in some security settings you can solely block requests from outside of your network. There are so many different routers with so many different configurations. There is no one set answer. You must research your setup for specifics on available options.

HP Recommended

Ha ha ha BINGO. That's going to be it for us. The router has port forwarding for 9100 since some of our machines are on public IPs. It will be painless to restrict to our CIDR block.  Thank you!!!

HP Recommended

I found something on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojXpsazraFA and you'll also my post.

Basically, I need to set some security settings in my printer and test it again if this will resolve my problem.

Will keep you updated

HP Recommended

You've got port 9100 open to your printer. More info here: https://nexusconsultancy.co.uk/blog/printer-part-flaming-botnet/

HP Recommended

You can set a password to prevent unauthorized users from remotely configuring the printer or viewing printer settings from the embedded web server (EWS). Once set, this password is required to change or view many printer settings from the EWS.

We have a document on security features for HP Enterprise products.

HP LaserJet Enterprise, HP OfficeJet Enterprise, HP PageWide Enterprise - Printer security features

For consumer OfficeJet products, you may need to assign a password by going to:

-->Settings

-->Security

-->Password Settings

Hope this helps.

I am an HP employee supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others. Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.