Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I just had a similar message come through on my printer that said "stackoverflowin has returned to his glory, your printer is part of" and then it cuts off. Some of you guys mentioned a pastebin? What is that and how do I find this information?

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended
I think we've concluded that the issue here is the port on your router needs looking at rather than the printer. You need to update the port for the router so it's not open to the internet and accessible to external packets of data.
HP Recommended
One of guys on here posted earlier seems like good advice....
https://nexusconsultancy.co.uk/blog/printer-part-flaming-botnet/
HP Recommended

See this post (post 16 in this thread) for more information - most likely cause is you have a port open/forwarded on your router.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Printer-prints-from-its-own/m-p/5970449#M602967

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

@blul_1528, the EWS password can be overridden if the hacker can gain access to the printer.

Also recent Netgear routers have firmware problems. See https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-566.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

For the record - this morning, for the second day in a row, there was another lovely printout waiting for me in the output tray of my HP Laserjet Pro all-in-one.  I had my IT guy come in.  He says the problem is fixed.  He found the answer in this forum.  The problem was that there was an exception set up in our firewall, pointing Port 9100 to the internal IP Address of the HP Laserjet Pro.  He deleted this rule from the Port Forwarding section of the router settings.  He says this will eliminate the problem for sure.  He also went to great lengths to assure me that he isn't the one who created this rule in the first place, because it makes no sense and he never would have done that.  I already knew this because the router was set up by the former IT person who was let go for other reasons.

In any event, if this "hacker printout" problem is happening to you, log in to your router and check the "Port Forwarding" section, if there is a rule set up for Port 9100, delete it.  This is definitely not an HP problem, it can affect any network printer if the network printer is connected to a router with an exception created in the router's firewall to forward external traffic on Port 9100 to the printer.

HP Recommended

Exact same thing happened to me today and had same message on it

stackoverflowin has returned to his glory, your printer is part of a flaming botn

Is someone in the HP system.  Strange we all have HP and have same message sent to us.  Please figure this out for us. I am not a geek and need simple instructions.

HP Recommended
I used the guide from: https://nexusconsultancy.co.uk/blog/printer-part-flaming-botnet/ there's some instructions on port forwarding in the comments too.
HP Recommended

@MikeClayton wrote:

For the record - this morning, for the second day in a row, there was another lovely printout waiting for me in the output tray of my HP Laserjet Pro all-in-one.  I had my IT guy come in.  He says the problem is fixed.  He found the answer in this forum.  The problem was that there was an exception set up in our firewall, pointing Port 9100 to the internal IP Address of the HP Laserjet Pro.  He deleted this rule from the Port Forwarding section of the router settings.  He says this will eliminate the problem for sure.  He also went to great lengths to assure me that he isn't the one who created this rule in the first place, because it makes no sense and he never would have done that.  I already knew this because the router was set up by the former IT person who was let go for other reasons.

In any event, if this "hacker printout" problem is happening to you, log in to your router and check the "Port Forwarding" section, if there is a rule set up for Port 9100, delete it.  This is definitely not an HP problem, it can affect any network printer if the network printer is connected to a router with an exception created in the router's firewall to forward external traffic on Port 9100 to the printer.

In a sense this is a HP problem as well - if there was an admin password set he would of never been able to telnet the PJL file to your printer. Just as every other device with a web server out of box prompts for an Admin password, we may have to rethink adding admin passwords to all printers in the day and age we live in.

HP Recommended

I'm having a similar problem with an Officejet Pro 8500A printing messages like, "stackoverflowin the hacker god has returned" and "stackoverflowin has returned in his glory, your printer is part of a flaming botnet"

I've run the HP Print and Scan Doctor already.

I am not impressed with HP that this is even possible on their equipment - this is a major black eye for HP. I  am deeply dismayed, and I would like some help from the company ASAP.

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.