Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Similar problem to the one cited below:  HP5610 with dispaly reading "cartridge error."  Nothing will work now.  Can't see any info in manual that helps.  Changing cartridegs did not help.

(Actually thought that when I hit "reply" I would get an answer to my problem.  Sorry.)

HP Recommended

After replacing the black low on ink cartridge, this error message appeared on the printer screen: Cartridge Error Refer to device documentation to troubleshoot. I could find no information to resolve that error so I broke down and called HP support.  Fortunately a tech offered to help a solve even though the machine is out of warranty.  Bottom line the brand new in warranty HP replacement cartrige had a defective power strip. Inserting the low ink cartridge back into the device removed the Cartridge Error message.  A different new cartridge was installed & the printer works fine. 

HP Recommended

My 5600 series Office jet "eats" cartridges all the time.  I get way too many cartrige error messages.  With my old Hp desk jet that I wacked off the cartrige cradle off, but was otherwise very happy with, this NEVER happened.  I am a cartridge refiller and am greatly dismayed at this.  Seeing the warnings about expiration dates I can only guess that HP is now engineering kill dates into their cartridges to discourage home refilling or buying in bulk.  My last attempt at resseting my cartridge with tape like the old days also supports this theory. All I got was error messages.  I finally used the 3 cartridge tradeout method with old dead cartridges that I keep around (those HAVE been collecting) and even though they were also giving error messages, I got an alignment out of my refilled cartridge when I put it in third.  Hopefully this ressetting strategy will help my cartridges live longer.  Up to now I haven't been ressetting cartridges with this printer because the printer has worked without it, but I suspect and hope it is part of the engineered kill switch built into the newer cartridges and hopefully ressetting will make my cartridges last longer.  This is my last attempt to make this work.

Sure, it might be the printer but I think its the times and the cartridges.  (My old HP printer used the same black cartridges but different color ones and my new used printer eats both.)  This is getting WAY too expensive for me!  It may be time to buy a inexpensive monochrome laser printer.  NOT an HP.  I hear Brother laser cartridges are reasonable.  Hopefully the grey scale will be exacting enough to represent color web pages when necessary.  Obviously it can't do everything.  And I will really miss the scanner printer combo.

HP Recommended

@Squawk00 wrote:

[snip] Seeing the warnings about expiration dates I can only guess that HP is now engineering kill dates into their cartridges to discourage home refilling or buying in bulk.  [snip]

Your guess would be incorrect.  While there are some HP printers and cartrdiges that enforce expiration of supplies your Officejet 5610 is not one of them.  None of the HP cartrdiges with printheads built into the cartridges (like your 56 and 22 cartridges) have expiration dates that would cause errors or inhibit printing.  See the document here for information on ink expiraton and why it is enforced for some printer models.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank you!  I have been racking my brain out but this did the trick.  I removed the color ink and am now able to print, copy and fax!!

HP Recommended

i have the same printer and issues with cartridge errors sound pretty common to this model i just need my black cartridge to print i hardly ever use colour but if i have to buy a colour cartridge i guess i have no alternative except for buying a new printer i have a HP psc 750 but those cartridges are a lot more exspensive unless i go to remanufactured office depot like brands and i have found them to be with problems also,and from what i have read this model printer should print with 1 new cartridge in it i have tried taking the colour out and it lcks the printer until its replace but shouldn't it print in black if the colour catridge is empty but still in the printer?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.