Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Printer says it's locked by the person who set it up that be me.... most settings are grayed out

HP Recommended
mac desk top
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Printer says it's locked by the person who set it up that be me.... most settings are grayed out and I can't select anything to go further, can't select restore network settings

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
1,133 1,131 77 202
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

could you please let me know what is the printer model?

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry it's a HP Office Jet Pro 8710

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
1,133 1,131 77 202
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please do a factory restore and the password will get cleared, but you will have to set it up in the network again.

Below are the stepsfactory restore.JPG

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
0 Kudos
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

At first I tried to factory restore like you said using the control panel on the printer but I couldn't do it because it was grayed out and I would get the same error message about it being locked by the person who set it up.   I ended up going around in circles for a couple hours but ended up at the  HP Embedded Web Server where I found I could restore the printer to factory settings then set up the printer back to all the settings I had before this problem started.    Thanks for you help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
1,133 1,131 77 202
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Great to know that it worked....many a times if you are locked it wont let you access the EWS, but good to know you were able to get it restored from the EWS.

Happy printing 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation