Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5530
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently changed both colour and black cartridges and carried out an alignment check. Now every time I want to use the printer it asks to perform an alignment check both on the printer window and on screen. The on screen message gives me the option to not carry out a check but the printer window only has an "ok" option. I have changed the cartridges many times and never had this problem. I even carried out a 2nd alignment check to see if this would get it out of this loop but it hasn't worked. I do not want to carry out any more alignment checks but would like these messages to stop popping up every time I want to print.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@SM58

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

If you insert your old ink back, do you still get the error message?

Let's try to reset the Printer here:

Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

1. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
  7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Also, you can try a firmware update if none of the steps work: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I have tried the first fix with the power cord but it didn't work. I cannot try a firmware update as I cannot get the alignment message off the printer window without press "OK" and of course doing this carries out an alignment which I am trying to avoid. 

HP Recommended

Try the firmware update from the Computer: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

If you insert your old ink back, do you still get the error message?

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry I do not have any old cartridges to try. I have carried out a firmware update and when the printer came back on, I got 2 messages. 

1 load plain paper - it was already full but the message went as soon as I pressed okay

2 the same alignment message!

HP Recommended

I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team regarding this as this could be a hardware issue.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for trying to solve my problem.

I have tried support but because my printer is out of warranty the only option they give me is to pay for someone to talk to. Got to admit its not the support I expected. I'm just going to use this printer till the cartridges run out then throw it as far as I can and get another model!

HP Recommended

Hi @SM58

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.