Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP MFP277dw
Microsoft Windows Server 2008

I move this printer from Windows Server to Windows 7 (32 bit processor) frequently.  As far as trying to correct the issue, I have disconnected the power cord, disconnected the usb cable, plugged power cord into wall outlet and also placed my thumb on the screen after turning on.  

Nothing has worked.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @JGM411,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are having issues setting up the printer. It is stuck in initializing screen on your HP LaserJet MFP 277dw printer. I'll be really glad to help you with this,

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Please perform a Hard reset on the printer.

* With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

* Remove USB cable, if present.

* Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

* Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

* Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If you are still having issues then check your private messages for some other steps to try. 

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

We also have a 377dw stuck at initializing.

Hard reset has done nothing.

I understand (from looking on here at 177dw, 277dw) that there is some document that you need to PM us which provides a way of resolving this issue.

Can you please send me it?

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with my printer stuck on initializing. I've tried the hard reset without any luck. Please help.

HP Recommended

Hi @aubsabs222, welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that your HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP is stuck on initializing screen.

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should help fix this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you listed below:

1. Disconnect USB/Network/FAX and power on the Standalone unit.

2. Check and remove any packaging material inside the printer and toner cartridge.

3. Try different power source.
4. Perform a power cycle by unplugging the power cord while the power is on and plug it back.
5. Perform a power drain by disconnecting the power cord from the back of the printer and keeping the power button pressed for 30 seconds and if there is a power switch, keep the switch in ON position for 30 seconds before reconnecting the power cord.

6. Restore printer to factory defaults:

* On the product control panel, touch the Setup button.

* Scroll to and touch the Service menu. 

* Scroll to and touch the Restore Defaults button, and then touch the OK button. The product automatically restarts.

7. Turn Off the printer for 3 min and then try turning On the unit.

Let me know how that works.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi Rainbow23,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, we tried every suggestion (except we can't perform suggestion # 6 becasue we can't get past the "Initializing" screen) and the printer is still stuck on the "Initializing" screen. Can you please help? It's very frustrating to have no printer in our business office, and frustrating that I can't call someone to get immedaite help.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

I would also like to add that this online support forum is a very poor solution for customer service, especially when something is really wrong with a machine that is heavily depended upon. While I realize HP may have chosen to go this route to save costs, it provides a very poor customer service experience. Our office printer hasn't worked in a week now, and I would like to speak with someone immediately to help problem solve it. I tried everything already suggested on the forum without any luck, and the suggestions from Rainbow23 (provided 2 days after my request) are the same things that I already tried that I found on the forum. So, it’s been a full week and I still have no solution to my problem. I wish there was a live person I could get a hold of in real time, rather than having to go through the inefficient forum process. It's ok if you can solve your problem with the suggestions already posted, but when I can't do that, I'd much prefer to speak with someone directly, either via chat or phone.

Also, these “ranks” on the support forum, and various congratulations messages are just stupid. I don’t care about these supposed awards/ranks. I only care about getting answers to my issues in a reasonable time frame.

HP Recommended

Hi @aubsabs222,

Thank you for your reply, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi,

we have had tyhe same issue with M521.

The machine will clear its brains when disconnecter from power socket OVERNIGHT. 

Two hours was not sufficent time for last cursed electrons to vaporize.

I guess it should be done weekly to maintain operability.

Hope this helps.

Kyllikki

HP Recommended

My problem was a secured adobe doc stuck in queue. Unplug power, also unplug black square thingy cord, clear print jobs from queue, restart server if necessary. authorized HP service guy fixed this problem for us in 5 minutes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.