Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows XP

We recently got a company iPhone. It requires a wifi connection to update. The last time that happened, I discovered I could use this printer as the source. It is connected to our (very old) pc via a LAN cable. It will still print and scan to and from the pc but is no longer online. Help, please.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @CramRenraff

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Are you trying to connect the printer and the iPhone wirelessly?

On the printer screen, go to Setup > Network > Wireless > Wireless setup wizard > Choose your network

Make sure the printer and the iPhone are connected to the same wireless network.

Refer to this document to know how to print from your iPhone.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, I am not trying to connect wirelessly. The computer and pc are hard wired together. For some reason, the printer is no longer connected to the internet through the pc. All other functions (print and scan) still work so I assume the cable is good. I tried different ports on the pc without any change. I don't know if the printer disconnected from the internet or if the pc disconnected the printer from the internet but one of them must be true. I'm pretty sure it's a setting on or the other (or maybe both) but, after spending many hours on it, I can't figure it out.

HP Recommended

I reread you question and yes, I am trying to connect the phone and printer wirelessly but that's not where the problem is. The problem is between the printer and the pc it is connected to.

HP Recommended

Ethernet cable, not LAN cable. I knew that was wrong but I had been trying to figure this out for 7 hours and my brain was frazzled.

HP Recommended

20191223_172158.jpg

HP Recommended

@CramRenraff

If you are trying to connect the printer to the Internet, make sure the Ethernet cable is connected between the printer and the router. The printer gets Internet access from the router and not the PC.

Check and verify if you are using an Ethernet cable between the printer and the PC or a USB cable.

As mentioned, print and scan is working fine, it means there is communication between the printer and the PC.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.