Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600 N911A
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I recently went through the Windows 10 upgrade and I switched Internet Providers and have a new wifi modem. The printer recognizes and accepts the modem setup. I've printed successfully since these changes. I had to delete and reinstall the printer driver for the 8600 series. A new development is it constantly shows "offline". I've rebooted the desktop, the modem and the printer and print jobs still hang up as "offline". I've brought up the HP Troubleshooter program and it reinstalled the print spooler but that hasn't worked either. This never was an issue with the previous Windows 10 versions. Previously it would wake up fast and start printing. Thoughts, comments, solutions?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@65255Sammy

Please try a network restore - 

Step 1 Network Restore -

Touch (right arrow), touch Setup, and then touch Network. Touch Restore Network Defaults, and then select Yes. A message appears stating that the network defaults have been restored.

Step 2 Reboot the devices -

1) Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer.

2) Wait for 60 seconds.

3) Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.

4) Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.

5) Turn on the computer.

Step 3 Run Wireless Wizard -

1) Set up the printer hardware. See the getting started guide or the setup poster that came with your printer.
2) On the printer control panel, touch (right arrow), touch Setup, and then touch Network.
3) Touch Wireless, touch Wireless Setup Wizard, and then touch OK.
4) Follow the display instructions to complete the setup

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @65255Sammy

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please try these steps - 

Step 1 HP Print and Scan Doctor - 

Click on this link to download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor 

Step 2 Re-install the printer drivers - 

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall.

4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Download and install the software and drivers from here.

15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions. 

Also, try updating the printer's firmware. Download and install the firmware update from this link.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I'm unable to update the firmware because I can't communicate with the printer. I'll do it once we figure out the connection problem. The printer finds and accepts the wifi system okay. When I go through the set up program it asks me for the IP address. I enter 169.254.96.89 and it returns a message in red that states that IP address is called an Auto IP, which most networks only use as a temporary placeholder. I've restarted everything over and over and it still returns with the same message. If it helps I switched Internet providers about the same time as the Windows 10 driver upgrade. I've got a Centurylink modem now. Is it possible that I need to make a setting change in the modem's settings? Also, my Firewall is turned off while I'm working on this issue.
HP Recommended

@65255Sammy

Do you have any anti-virus software installed on the computer? 

Perform a ping test by typing this - Ping {Pinter's IP} and hit the enter button.

To obtain the printer's IP - To check the IP address of the printer, obtain the IP address by printing a network configuration page. Touch (right arrow), select Setup, select Network, and then select Print Network Settings.

Enter the ping command in the command prompt. To access the command prompt, in the search box type and open command prompt. 

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I'm running webroot antivirus software. Its' been disabled the entire time I've been working on this problem. Windows firewall has also been disabled. the ping came back: Pinging 169.254.96.89 with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 169.254.214.202: Destination host unreachable. Reply from 169.254.214.202: Destination host unreachable. Reply from 169.254.214.202: Destination host unreachable. Reply from 169.254.214.202: Destination host unreachable.
HP Recommended
Where I seem to be stuck is my printer recognizes my wifi and connects with the IP Address of 169.254.96.89. The HP Configuration software recognizes this as a temporary IP Address. In never comes up with any other address after reconnecting and rebooting 1000 times. The install software won't go any further as long as I keep using the above IP address which is what it shows when I press the antenna button on the printer. I have uninstalled several times. I've downloaded fresh drivers but it won't get around this IP problem. It shows connected but my desktop isn't finding it. Sam
HP Recommended

@65255Sammy

Please try a network restore - 

Step 1 Network Restore -

Touch (right arrow), touch Setup, and then touch Network. Touch Restore Network Defaults, and then select Yes. A message appears stating that the network defaults have been restored.

Step 2 Reboot the devices -

1) Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer.

2) Wait for 60 seconds.

3) Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.

4) Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.

5) Turn on the computer.

Step 3 Run Wireless Wizard -

1) Set up the printer hardware. See the getting started guide or the setup poster that came with your printer.
2) On the printer control panel, touch (right arrow), touch Setup, and then touch Network.
3) Touch Wireless, touch Wireless Setup Wizard, and then touch OK.
4) Follow the display instructions to complete the setup

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
That worked. I had done all of those but not in the sequence that you provided. By turning them all off and bringing them up in order the problem resolved. When I went to reinstall the driver it found the device quickly and reinstalled itself. Thank you for your help, its been frustrating.
HP Recommended

@65255Sammy

That's great! Happy to hear that. 

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us. 

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Unfortunately the settings and work we did before did not hold. I still keep coming up with "offline" error messages. I've reset the printer to factory defaults, powered down everything and brought up everything in the order you previously instructed. My printer comes up with an IP address of 169.254.96.89 which shows your debugging program as a temporary IP address. It never comes up with a permanent IP address. It always connects to the router when I reset it using the printers wizard. it prints a network test page. It will not print from my desktop. I've downloaded the latest drivers several times (even though they are for previous older Window's versions) The printer worked that day we last chatted. The settings did not hold for some reason.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.