Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My printer (HP Photosmart C4680) will not communicate with my laptop running Windows 7. The printer is connected via USB cable. The printer is listed in the Devices and Printers window and is selected as the default printer. I have downloaded and reinstalled the appropriate drivers to no avail. I have unplugged the printer and deleted the device and then plugged it back in, to no avail. I have gone to Printer Properties and attempted to print a test page. It says that a test page has been sent to the printer but nothing happens. Please help - I am at wits end!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello thesushi,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I understand you are unable to print a document using your Photosmart C4680. When installing this printer, did you connect the USB cable to the computer during the installation?

Please make sure your printer isn't "Offline". Follow these steps on your computer: (This information was stated here.)

1. Click on your Start Menu, then Devices and printers
  2. Right-click the name of the product, and then click See what's printing .
  3. On the print queue menu bar, click Printer , and then look for the Pause Printing and Use Printer Offline items in the menu.
  4. Make sure that there is no check mark next to either item. If a check mark displays next to either item, click to clear it.
Have you tried a different USB cord to verify if the issue occurs still?

Please try restarting the Print Spooler on your computer: (This information was stated here.)
  1. Click the Windows icon ( ), type admin in the Search programs and files box, and then click Administrative Tools .
  2. Double-click Services .
  3. Right-click Print Spooler .
  4. Click Stop to stop the Print Spooler.
  5. Click Start to restart the Print Spooler.
  6. Restart the computer.
  7. Try to print a document
Also, try The Print And Scan Doctor. This tool could give you explanation on why you are receiving this issue.

Let me know your progress. Looking forward to hearing from you.
I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

My laptop will not communicate with my HP8600 printer. I have unplugged, reinstalled HP software, turned on and off etc.  How to fix, please?

HP Recommended

I am using an HP DeskJet 1112.  It has stopped communicating with my computer.  When I tell it to print it will print a blank page.  I have a USB connection to printer and computer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.