Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6968
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer will not connect to my printer and print wirelessly or with a wire.

My computer is connected to a Wi-Fi that is secure, and my printer is connected to a Wi-Fi with the same name, but it is not secure. My printer cannot connect the the secure Wi-Fi. However, when I connect my computer to the unsecure Wi-Fi that my printer is on, my computer still will not connect to my printer.

Sometimes the printer is offline; when it is online, nothing will print and my computer simply says "Error - Printing". I have tried connected the printer to the computer via cable, but that does not work either.

I have uninstalled the printer software, reinstalled it, taken down firewalls, troubleshooted both the computer and printer, installed printer apps, used Wi-Fi and not used Wi-Fi, turned both the computer and printer off and on, and followed the initial setup phase again using an installation disk, but nothing works.

I have followed every suggested step on the HP website and done everything I can think of: even the setup you are supposed to use when you first turn on the printer. I am at a total loss.

Please help connect my computer to my printer. It is a Toshiba that runs Windows 10 64 bit, and my printer is a HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 inkjet.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @colton_manning

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I understand that you are unable to print from your HP OfficeJet Pro 6968

I'd like to help.

I suggest you do a Printer Reset.

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
 NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Then uninstall the Printer Driver from Root Level.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart your Notebook and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen instructions.

Note: Connect the USB cable only when prompted during Setup.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you. 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @colton_manning

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I understand that you are unable to print from your HP OfficeJet Pro 6968

I'd like to help.

I suggest you do a Printer Reset.

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
 NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Then uninstall the Printer Driver from Root Level.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart your Notebook and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen instructions.

Note: Connect the USB cable only when prompted during Setup.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you. 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you this worked! It didn't work wirelessly, but when I used the USB port it worked. I think it has to do with the Wi-Fi provided.

HP Recommended

Hi @colton_manning

I'm glad you were able to get this sorted out. Please do visit our HP Forums and drop us a Message anytime you need help.

Thank you. 🙂

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed the steps outlined in the krazyToad response to colton_manning on 1/30/2018 to reset the printer.  The system would not let me delete the printer driver after deleting the printer(Step 9). I too have tried every suggested rememdy, and am getting no where. When I use the  Print & Scan Dr, it doesn't recognize that the printer is connected, though I've replaced the USB cable and confirmed that it is working. I am now in the 3rd day of trying to re-establish the connection (it was working fine before I had to unplug it to move). I've been through the steps in every online and downloadable support tool you have. 

HP Recommended

Did a printer reset.  Purged all printer drivers & packages.  The troubled printer's was not among them.  Got message on driver install:

"Printer driver was not installed.

The driver is not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0 drivers."

This is extremely frustrating.

HP Recommended

I have the ability to print but not to scan to my computer after installing Windows 10.  I completely uninstalled the driver and reinstalled and still can't scan.  Help please!

HP Recommended

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8630 on windows 7 operating system using a LAN cable.  I reset the printer power and now have moved on to removing the driver. 

I tried to remove the HP Officejet Pro 8630 driver and driver package but I get a message,

"The following package can not be deleted"

hpvyt13.inf (x64)
This package contains the following driver(s) that are in use:
HP Officejet Pro 8630; This driver is used on:
HP Officejet Pro 8630

The following driver(s) can not be deleted:

Driver HP Officejet Pro 8630 (x64) is in use. It is used on:
HP Officejet Pro 8630

HP Recommended

@psychawk, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Restart the print spooler and try uninstalling the drivers-

Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.

Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.

Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.

Go to services again - Start the print spooler.

Now uninstall and reinstall the printer driver.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Excellent! After two days of trying, you fixed my problem.

Many thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.