02-05-2020 08:58 AM
My printer is connected via USB when I'm at my desk and wireless when I'm away from my desk but in the house. It prints in color via USB, but usually not via wireless connection. All systems check out OK with HP virtual tools. There is new ink in both black and color cartridges. I have run the 'cleaning' and 'aligning' routines. Some test pages print with color and others do not. So, the printer is capable of printing in color, but some setting must be wrong somewhere. But, I can't find the problem. I have not tried reinstalling the drivers yet. My Windows software is Windows 10 and is up to date.
02-07-2020 09:14 AM
Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the printing issue.
Please try adding the printer using the IP address -
1.) Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.
2.) Choose “Printers & scanners“.
3.) Select “Add a printer or scanner“.
4.) Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it.
5.) Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“.
6.) Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list.
7.) Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel.
8.) Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee
02-07-2020 10:07 AM
This didn't work. But, I have isolated the problem. My printer is connected via USB when I'm at my desk. The USB-connected printer prints in color just fine. The same printer, when connected via the IP address, doesn't have the option on the 'Paper/Quality' tab for printing in color or black and white. That box is missing. Perhaps that provides a clue on how to fix?
02-07-2020 10:20 AM
Let' try these steps -
Download and install HP Print and Scan Doctor, it is a Windows tool to fix printer issues.
If the issue still persists, try re-installing the printer driver -
1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".
2. Look for HP Printer software.
3. Right-click to uninstall.
4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.
5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.
6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.
7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).
8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.
9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.
10. Select Ok.
11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.
12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.
13. Restart the computer.
14. Download and install the software and drivers from here for Windows 10 (64-bit).
15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.
Keep me posted.
I am an HP Employee