Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4620 e-all-in-one printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Officejet 4620 e-all-in-one printer will not print.  Dell computer, windows 10 (64-bit).  Printer is properly set up and connected to wireless.  Removed and then downloaded latest software, drivers etc.  Everything seems to be up to date.  HOWEVER:  

-When I try to print from the Dell, nothing happens - nothing shows in the print queue, the print icon does not appear, NOTHING!  However, we are able to print just fine from the Chromebook to the same printer!  Just unusual.   

- When I try to print from Notepad it says "The specified driver is invalid."

- When I try to print from a Word document it says "Word can't print due to a problem with the printer setup." 

- When I try to remove existing software drivers or compatibility drivers, it says "The specified driver is currently in use.  Access is denied."  

I think the issue is with the computer and not the printer.  Please help! 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Mrs_H2u, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

You can also try to add the device using TCP/IP-

1.  Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box. 

2.  Choose “Printers & scanners“. 

3.   Select “Add a printer or scanner“. 

4.  Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it. 

5.   Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“. 

6.   select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list. 

7.  Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel.  

8.  Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next

If the issue persists, we can try the steps to fix the computer.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, 

Thanks so much for the feedback.  I tried the below steps as suggested, a new printer was added, it detected that a driver was already installed but I selected to update with a new driver AND it still doesn't print.  

Is it possible that I need to wipe my computer clean of all printers and drivers and start again?  Even when I try to do that it tells me that the driver is currently in use and cannot be deleted.  Something is not connecting and I can't seem to figure it out.  Again, I am able to print from the other computer to the printer just fine.  It just seems to have an issue with receiving print requests from my computer.  

Thanks! 

HP Recommended

@Mrs_H2u

This is possibly an OS related issue. I'd suggest you try a system reset on the computer and try installing the printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.