Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8740
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My OfficeJet Pro 8740 is connected to my network using a cable, it does NOT use WiFi.
I have configured it and my network to use a Fixed IP Address.
If the printer isn't used for a day or two - it disconnects (the network icon on the printer front panel gets a little red X) and won't reconnect until I power it off and back on.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@CasaDelGato, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

Also, go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My Printer is already up to date (Version: WEBPDLPP1N001.1919A.00)
And as I said, I'm not using a WiFi connection, so there is no "Channel" to change.  (You did actually read my original post, right?)

HP Recommended

@CasaDelGato

I did read your post.

If the computer is unable to detect the printer over a wired (Ethernet) connection, check the network cables and the connection.

Step 1: Disconnect the Ethernet cable

To reset the connection between the printer and computer, disconnect and then reconnect the Ethernet cable.

1. Turn off the printer, and then disconnect the Ethernet cable from the router.

2. Inspect the cable.

• Look for any damage. If the cable is damaged, replace the cable.

• Make sure the cable is fully secured to both ports.

3. Connect the cable to a different Ethernet or LAN port on the router. Avoid connecting the cable to the Internet port.

4. Turn on the printer.

5. Confirm the connection on your printer by checking the lights on the printer’s Ethernet  port. The green link light should be steady, and the orange activity light should blink when the cable is connected.

Step 2: Print a Network Configuration Page

Print a Network Configuration Page to confirm the network status.

1. Print a Network Configuration Page.

• Printers with a touchscreen control panel or text-based display: Print the page from the Wireless, Network Settings, or Setup menu.

For detailed instructions to print a Network Configuration Page, go to HP Customer Support, type your printer model, and then search for "printing self-test pages".

2. Review the General Information section on the first page. Make sure the Network Status displays as Ready.

Example of a confirmed wired connection status

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Are you sure you read my original msg?
The Printer connects via the Ethernet cable just fine. (and yes, I have disconnected and reconnected it, and changed router jacks)
The problem is that after a day or two of NOT printing anything, the printer disconnects from the network.
The only way to get it to reconnect is to power it off, then back on.

HP Recommended

@CasaDelGato

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

The only option left is to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may brick the device. 

I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.