Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Officejet 3835 won't print in colour from Laptop command. Images all in grey scale. No problem printing in colour from copy command. Have reinstalled printer software to no avail. Any thoughts, please?

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Graeme40

Thank you for the detailed response and feedback, I will put this across to the respective team in HP. For now, can you try installing the printer using Windows built-in drivers.

Refer to the steps mentioned in this document (Uninstall the previously installed drivers) and then try printing in color.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Graeme40, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Have you tried printing different types of documents like PDF, Word or Webpages and check if the issue persists?

Which version of Operating system is installed?

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and and click on 'Fix printing'.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Try a Root level re-installation of the HP Full featured driver:

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Click here and download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar

I have tried various formats PDF etc and all print in shades of grey only.

Have completely removed printer software and reloaded (several times). First time I try to print after reload, colour is OK but after that grey shades only.

There is no problem at all if I send a document with colour to the printer from my smart phone (Word, jpeg, PDF...) 

HP Doctor on print problems reports that everything is OK but when I try the test document, again just shades of grey with no hint of colour.

Cartridges are new and not faulty.

I am running most fecent version of Windows 10 with latest update just a couple of days ago.

Can't help wondering if there is a glitch between 10 software and that used by HP?

Hope above helps you. Any further idea will be appreciated. 

HP Recommended

Kumar - a couple of additional comments my be helpful. There are 2 HP laptops and 3 HP printers in this household. All 3 printers now display he same problems connecting to the laptops. Scans are also playing up. Local network and wifi are OK. It is hard not to conclude that the HP software in the laptops is  in conflict with some technical factor which Microsoft have incorporated in one of their recent Windows 10 updates? Can HP investigate this possibility with an open mind? Thanks and regards.

HP Recommended

@Graeme40

Thank you for the detailed response and feedback, I will put this across to the respective team in HP. For now, can you try installing the printer using Windows built-in drivers.

Refer to the steps mentioned in this document (Uninstall the previously installed drivers) and then try printing in color.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar - I appreciate your help and patience. I have managed to get the HP 3835 printer working properly using the Windows driver(s). Also the scanner via the printer section in Control Panel. So far so good! The situation does appear to reinforce my belief that a Windows 10 recent update has caused HP drivers to mal-function. The HP software is clearly much to be preferred and I do hope that HP can get this problem sorted. There must be more users than me who are affected? Please keep me informed. Thanks & regards.

HP Recommended

@Graeme40

Glad to know the printer is working fine. Microsoft has to release an update fixing the bugs in the last one. This is a software incompatibility issue with the latest windows update. There is no more information available as of now.

Keep me posted for any other assistance. Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am probably stating the obvious when I say that using the Windows drivers is not nearly as efficient or satisfactory as the purpose built HP software. Does Microsoft know that they need to address this situation quick time? Is anyone at HP drawing the attention of Microsoft to this problem? I can only regard using windows drivers as a temporary solution until someone takes an intelligent interest in sorting out the software incompatibility.

HP Recommended

@Graeme40

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.