Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My 8610 was printing perfectly, never any problem until I sudden;ly got the "Printhead not detected, is missing or not installed properly." Tried everything, nothing worked. Cost too much to replace it, had to buy new printer. It just seems really suspicious to me. No indication of a problem, just suddenly stops working. It's almost like I reached a an expiration date or something and HP shut it off. Maddebing!

HP Recommended

WERE you able to purchase  new printhead?  

HP Recommended

No, I didn't replace the printhead because the part was too expensive--it was much more economical to buy a new printer. So that's what I did.

HP Recommended

Hi, Alikubo - Had an almost identical situation with my (@2 yr old, moderate use) Officejet Pro 8610.  Repeated efforts at all suggested corrective measures produced no results.  Had a chat w/HP Rep who directed me to 4 aftermarket companies, the first one of which said the 8610 printerhead had not been available to them for some 6 months and HP didn't know if/when they might be available.  For those who don't know, the printerhead is little more than a @4"x4"x4.5" tray for ink cartridges with a rather simple appearing mini 2"x2" circuit board on the back.  It seems, compared to the competition, a rather unnecessarily separate interface between the cartridge(s) and the printer!  Why HP finds it consistent with their business plan to *euthanize* a perfectly good printer/scanner/FAX due to their inability to design or provide replacement parts is something of a puzzle.  *AND NOW I'M STUCK W/ABOUT $200 OF NEW/OPEN/UNUSEABLE CARTRIDGES* ! ! !

Like you, Alikubo, I needed timely resolution.  As Staples can provide me overnight  delivery - not only that, they  rebated my cost for one unopened carton of 5 color/B&W cartridges - which more than paid for my new BROTHER MFC-J497DW PRINTER/SCANNER/FAX (at a cost $20 cheaper than Amazon, and then an additional $20 off for ordering online) for which the ink is cheaper and THE PERFORMANCE AND QUIETNESS IS SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER THAN THE  HP 8610 ! ! !

* * * I'M NOT TOSSING THE HP UNTIL THERE IS SOME DEFINITIVE RESPONSE OR COMMITMENT FROM HP * * *

* * *   THIS IS A CHALLENGE  * * *

* * *  EITHER THEY WILL CORRECT THE PROBLEM - OR - CONFIRM THAT THEIR MISSION STATEMENT                                                                          SAYS, "SCREW THE CONSUMER" 

ONLY  TIME  WILL TELL !

HP Recommended

Hey, Donn2, if your HP printer is an 'Officejet Pro 8610', the part number is CR322A . . . BUT HP DOESN'T HAVE THEM & THEIR AFTERMARKET VENDORS CAN'T GET THEM FROM HP.

If yours is another model printer you might get lucky as I did to get the correct part number and names/#'s of their 4 aftermarket vendors . .  AND JUST PERHAPS YOU MIGHT LUCK OUT AND FIND ONE . . . if it's not for the 8610.

HP Recommended

e@johnrsenior

I see that your concerns were previously escalated.  Please check your private messages to follow up.

Thank you 

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Whoops, Donn2, in giving you the printhead part number for the Officejet Pro 8610, I failed to state that I got the part number from an HP online *chat* rep.

HP Recommended

Hi, Johnrsenior!  EXACTLY!!!  I think HP has installed 2-year time bombs in all their printers since it appears we are all having the same issue with the various printers!  I LOVE Staples, but there are none in Hawaii.  😞  Office Max had the Brother on sale for $89!  I, too, have nearly $200 of unused/unopened toner because the first message coming off the print screen was I needed new ink, then I wasn't using genuine HP ink (which was bull), and then print head dead.  😞  The cashier suggested  I bring the unopened toner to them and if I buy the new toner for the Brother, they'd probably credit me.  We'll see if I do that, but in the meantime, I am loving how much smaller the Brother is and the great print quality.  The feeder tray folds open/closed so that much less space is great, too.  I, too, still haven't tossed the HP.  I'm sure there will be NOTHING further that HP can try.  

HP Recommended

I'd be interested to know which model Brother printer you purchased.  I've experienced the same problem with my HP and I'm terribly suspicious that so many have had this experience.  Thanks for your reply.

HP Recommended
HEY HP IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FIX THE PRINTHEAD PROBLEM ON MY HP 8610 PAPER WEIGHT THEN BUY IT BACK FROM ME SO I CAN FIND A PRINTEWR THAT WORKS.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.