Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 5520 series
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Recently I bought a new black ink cartridge for my printer. I try printing a document and it printed completely blank. I checked the ink levels which seemed completely fine. I also tried printing a status as well as a quality report but again nothing. I then cleaned the printhead and the ink smear which came out as blank pages as well. I aligned the printer but I couldn't scan it because it was blank again. Before I purchased the new ink cartridge (exactly the same as the previous one) it was printing fine. I need help please!  

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Confused_Printe

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the print quality issue. 

Appreciate you trying the steps. 

Have you tried the steps from this document as well? 

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Officejet 6950.  Ink began not showing up on page.  Replaced with HP cartridges, as always, but no luck.  Have cleaned printheads 9 times and alignment tool (but could not finish because scan page was blank).  Paper is ColorLok paper so no problem there.  Printer is up to date with updates.  Firmware download says Not Applicable.  Printer out of warranty.  Help! Tried all steps on HP website.

HP Recommended

@Beatles11

Appreciate you trying the steps. I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

As i have understood, you are facing this problem only after cartridge change & you have tried lots of things to solve this problem but sometime very things we miss. There are few things that we need be sure to work your printer perfectly.

1. Make sure you are using Genuine HP Cartridges & it is not refilled because HP printer is supposed to work properly only with HP cartridges because they are designed to work with them.

2. If you have just installed a new genuine hp cartridge and  printer printing blank pages. Most probably you have not removed protective cover/tape of cartridge. Protective cover on the cartridge is to protect sensitive part from damage. You need to remove it before installing into the printer. Protective cover of the cartridge is Yellow/orange in color. Check if it is the case, remove protective cover.

3. Update your Hp printer driver - an outdated Hp printer driver can cause this problem. You need to update your printer driver.

I hope these there simple solution can solve your problem but if the problem persist & you need further or detailed information on HP printer prints blank pages.You may refer this resource for detailed information on this issue.

HP Recommended

It is for the very same reason, after inserting new HP cartridges, unable to print in black ink that a HP printer and two brand new cartridges are in the landfill. And I did everything, multiple head cleaning, alignments, wiping heads with distilled water believe me, I did and read everything, all efforts were a complete waste of time and energy.
If the problem is the new HP cartridges I inserted I will never know. HP isn't likely to admit some of their cartridges may be defective nor is HP willing to just replace cartridges because I say they are defective.
I am not a heavy printer, maybe 3 pages a month, I just wonder is there a built in expiration date for HP printers?
Along with having Click to Accept as Solution or Click the Kudos Thumbs Up button, there should also be an option to click on a Did Not Work button which would be far more valuable as direct info on what Did Not Work.
So the end result is a perfectly fine printer and 2 new cartridges are now in a landfill and that is what is so terrible and wrong here. My recommendation, start looking for another printer to buy.

HP Recommended

And there should be a Thumb's Down icon to click, too.

HP Recommended

@Tuna-Belly-Cat

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.