Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envoy 5530
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've tried every suggestion from the helpful tech support agents on this board but no luck.  I've uninstalled, reinstalled, root uninstall, changing the IP address, using the hp print and scan doctor app, etc.  My wife's printer can print using a USB cable but during installation, the printer will not connect to our home wifi.  My computer uses the same network and can usually print OK. I ran the HP Network Configuration page printout and it shows that everything is connected and OK.  However, it does show that there are three different home wifi networks with the same name as ours,  One using channel #1 and three using channel #11.  Is this something that might be causing the failure to print wirelessly?  If so, what is the fix for this?  Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, I would suggest a root uninstall of the current printer, then download and run the installer from HP here.  During the installation tell the installer the printer is already set up and give the 10.0.0.174 IP address rather than have the installer change the IP address.  

You can re-enable IPv6 if you want, this will likely not make any difference.  The printer does not use IPv6.  To enable it: go to Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, click on the connection, check Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), OK, close.

[OK, just saw your follow-up post.]  In this case let's try something different.  Go to Control Panel, Devices and Printers, right click on the Envy 5530 and select Remove Device, Yes.  Next select Add a Printer.  If the box shows your Envy 5530 click it and say Next which will install the driver.  At the end the printer should be installed, but it will be set with a WSD port that can be problematic.  At this point I would suggest right clicking on the Envy 5530, Printer Preferences, Ports and select the TCIP/IP port, Apply, OK.

If the Envy 5530 did not show up in the Add a printer box then click on "The printer that I want isn't listed", Next, Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings, Next, Use an existing port, select the 10.0.0.174 existing TCP/IP port in the dropdown, Next, select HP (notHewlett-Packard) for the manufacturer and HP ENVY 5530 Series (not the HP ENVY 5530 Series Class Driver), Next, Next, Next, check Set as the default printer, Print a test page, Finish.

I think at this point you would be in business.  You are probably going to need to get an extender, move the router or change the channel settings to get good coverage with your wife's computer upstairs.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Having four networks with the same name (yours and three others) would be an issue.  Likely your wife's computer is connected to a different network than yours and the printer's.

I would suggest changing the network name to something unique, and make sure you have a network password enabled.  This can generally be done by entering the IP address for your router in your browser.  If you indicate the model for your wireless router I can probably suggest the settings you should change.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your time.  I did want to clarify that my wife's computer will not connect to any wireless network using the HP install software or the HP Print and Scan Doctor app.  That being said, we use an Xfinity supplied router. Xfinity RouterXfinity Router

Sorry the photo of the router is upside down!  Also, should I uninstall the printer before changing the network name?  Thanks so much for your time on this issue.

HP Recommended

I changed the network name and went through the installation process.  I actually got all the way through the wireless setup and installation (which was a first!).  However, trying to print, it just said the printer was in "an error state" and could not print the document.  Any suggestions?  Thanks so much for your time.

HP Recommended

I forgot to mention that after installing the printer and it seemed to connect to the wireless network but I got an "error state" message for the printer when trying to print, I ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor.  It found 3 Envy 5530 printers:  1 installed via USB, 1 with the correct IP address, and 1 that said "Envy 5530 Series".  I chose the one with the correct IP address, and the print and scan doctor app said it was not the default printer and "did I want to make that the default printer".  I clicked "Yes" but nothing happens with clicking that button.  Just another thing to mention since I couldn't go any further with that app to try and fix whatever the problem is. 

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was out of town today and just got back.  It is late here, I will tackle this in the morning.  If you want to check some things in the meantime - try the following:

• Go to Control Panel, Devices and Printers, right click on the appropriate printer and select "Set as default printer".  After this try printing.
  • If still an issue make sure the printer is reachable on your network - open your favorite browser and type the printer's IP address in the address window.  This should open the printer's Embedded Web Server (EWS).  Does the EWS open?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your time, Bob.  Here's the latest:

1.  When I go to "devices and printers" in the Control Panel, it shows the HP Envy 5530 as  the default printer but it's status is "offline".  That is the only HP printer showing.

2  However, when I use the Print and Scan Doctor app, it shows 3 different versions of the HP printer that I listed in a previous post.

3  For the first time, EWS does not work for the IP address. I used to work fine.  EWS does work on my computer but not my wife's.  

I was so disappointed that I got the "error state" message because the printer download and installation seemed to work all the way through as it told me it was connected and all was good. 

I just tried the Print and Scan Doctor app again.  It wound 2 HP printers:  5530 USB and 5530  10.0.0.174  "not installed".  The USB makes sense because I did connect the USB cable so that my wife could print something out, which worked. When the app connects to the "not installed" printer (it takes several minutes), it says it needs to download the installation software which makes sense.  When I download the software from that link and go through the setup process, it says that a printer using a USB connection is found and if I want to change from USB to wireless, connect the cable.  I do that and it tells me that it is "unable to find the printer" and "unable to retrieve computer's network name", and click setup to "try setting the printer on the network again".  I click "setup" and it finds the correct name of our home network.  It tells me to enter the IP address listed on the printer's window and I do that and it tells me that it is "installing network printer".  After a few minutes it says "unable to install printer on the network" or words to that affect.  Running the Print and Scan Doctor app again it still shows the USB printer as installed and the 10.0.0.174 printer as not installed.  Again, EWS doesn't work on my wife's computer now.

Thanks again. Looking forward to your suggestions when you have time.

HP Recommended

OK, a few things to check or verify:

1. You have changed the SSID for the router to be something unique?
  2. After changing the SSID you have reconnected the printer, your computer and your wife's computer to the new SSID?
  3. Is the printer IP address now 10.0.0.174?
  4. Is your computer able to open the printer's EWS?
  5. Find the IP address for your computer and your wife's computer.  An easy way to do this is to open a Command Prompt  (hit the windows key, type cmd.exe, then open the Command Prompt app) and type IPCONFIG in the command prompt window.  Are both the IP addresses of the form 10.0.0.NNN?
  6. Can you ping your wife's computer from yours?  (In the command prompt you opened above type PING 10.0.0.nnn  where nnn is replaced by the proper address for your wife's computer.)

I am expecting step 6 will fail, indicating the two computers are still not on the same network.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Hi again, Bob,

So we may be going backwards, but here is the latest: Neither computers are able to access the EWS using the IP address for the printer.  Also,  My computer is no longer able to print wirelessly but I was able to reinstall the software and am currently using a USB cable for both my computer and my wife's computer.  I had to uninstall the printer software from my computer because I could no longer print.  I now get the same error message:  "Unable to connect via wireless" or something like that.  I've run the Doctor app on my computer and it shows the USB printer and an uninstalled printer with the correct IP address of 10.0.0.174 (from the test page I printed out from the printer using the printer touchscreen. To answer your questions:

1.  Yes, I changed the SSID for the router

2. The printer and both computers are now reconnected to the new SSID

3.  Yes, IP address is 10.0.0.174

4.  My computer's IPv4 address is:  10.0.0.11     My wife's IPv4 address is:  10.0.0/113   I am on Windows 8.1 and she is on Windows 10 if that makes a difference.

5.  I was able to ping my wife's computer and she was able to ping mine.

Hope this provides you with some clues!  Again, thanks so much for your generosity in helping us.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

Quick update: I was able to change the USB connection to a wireless connection on my computer, and can now print wirelessly on my computer and also can access the printer via the EWS using 10.0.0.174.  No change with the status of my wife's computer. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.