Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Quick update - I disabled the IPv6 and then used the HP utility app to try again to install the printer by converting the USB connected printer to a wireless connection. Again the utility gave the same message as the print and scan doctor app that the printer was unable to be installed over the network.  I'll check into changing the router's channel tomorrow.  Thanks so much for your time!

HP Recommended

OK, sounds like some progress - I would suspect most of the issues have been related to signal strength and perhaps local interference from the neighbors' routers.  This would be consistent with the error in accessing the EWS as well as the 75% fail on the ping.  It would also be more of an issue if there are other routers sharing the same channel. I am confident we are on the way to get this resolved.

If you have smartphone you might try downloading an App like Wifi Manager.  This will list the visible SSID's, their signal strength and channel assignment.  That can be helpful in determining if you have adequate signal strength and help select a channel to reduce interference from your neighbors.  When selecting a channel keep in mind that only 1, 6 and 11 are usable choices.  The higher channels are from the 5Ghz band, your computers may support that but the printer only supports the 2.4Ghz channels.

Let's back up a bit - are the computers and the printer all upstairs?  If so you will probably want to consider moving the router closer, or perhaps get a wifi extender.  These can be had for about $20, you would put it between the router and the computers to extend the range.  I use one from TP-Link here,  it gives me whole house coverage.

The EWS is not used to configure the printer setings - you can change the printer's IP address but you would immediately lose the connection to the printer as the change is applied.  I was more suggesting the use of the EWS to verify we could reach the printer without issues.

In the meantime, I would suggest setting up things on your wife's computer while near the router.   I would start by checking the IP address of the printer just to verify it is still where we expected it.  Next, with your wife's computer in range of the router go through the process listed above to change the port to the IP Address of the printer.  Next try printing - things should work now.

The concerns I had about Avast were a red herring - I installed the trial version on my Windows 10 system and neither the firewall or VPN affected my ability to reach the printers I have on the network here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

With my wife's computer next to the router, I was able to name a new port with the printer's IP address.  However, the installation for wireless connection did not work.  Under "printers and devices", the HP printer status says "driver is unavailable".  Do I need to re-enable the IPv6? If so, how do I do that? Should I do a root uninstall and start from the beginning now that we've added the new port with the printer's IP address?  I think you've got us close and I am so grateful for your time and professional advice.  I've got to go take care of our grandchildren for the rest of the day so will be gone until this evening.  Hope to pick up with you later today.  Thanks again, Bob!

HP Recommended

And I should clarify that I tried using the HP utilities app and the Print and Scan Doctor app to connect.  Both apps installed software for the printer and both found the printer on the network.  But after installing, there was a failure to connect over the network. 

HP Recommended

OK, I would suggest a root uninstall of the current printer, then download and run the installer from HP here.  During the installation tell the installer the printer is already set up and give the 10.0.0.174 IP address rather than have the installer change the IP address.  

You can re-enable IPv6 if you want, this will likely not make any difference.  The printer does not use IPv6.  To enable it: go to Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, click on the connection, check Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), OK, close.

[OK, just saw your follow-up post.]  In this case let's try something different.  Go to Control Panel, Devices and Printers, right click on the Envy 5530 and select Remove Device, Yes.  Next select Add a Printer.  If the box shows your Envy 5530 click it and say Next which will install the driver.  At the end the printer should be installed, but it will be set with a WSD port that can be problematic.  At this point I would suggest right clicking on the Envy 5530, Printer Preferences, Ports and select the TCIP/IP port, Apply, OK.

If the Envy 5530 did not show up in the Add a printer box then click on "The printer that I want isn't listed", Next, Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings, Next, Use an existing port, select the 10.0.0.174 existing TCP/IP port in the dropdown, Next, select HP (notHewlett-Packard) for the manufacturer and HP ENVY 5530 Series (not the HP ENVY 5530 Series Class Driver), Next, Next, Next, check Set as the default printer, Print a test page, Finish.

I think at this point you would be in business.  You are probably going to need to get an extender, move the router or change the channel settings to get good coverage with your wife's computer upstairs.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob, IT WORKED!!!   You are a genius!!  My wife and I can't thank you enough for your gift of time and talent to us.  I will definitely follow up with getting the router moved.  I followed your instructions that you wrote regarding my follow up post (deleting the printer and then adding the printer, changing the port).  Thanks again!

HP Recommended

I am so glad you got this resolved, it has certainly been a challenge.  Happy printing!

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I sure appreciate you sticking with us on this one, Bob -  my wife was about out of patience with me as this has been going on for months! Things are much happier in our home now (ha ha)!  Just tried printing again this morning and all is well. 

HP Recommended

worked for my 2600 also! THANK YOU BOB!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.