Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 9020
Other

I cannot print a photo on 5X7 glossy paper from my MacBook Pro (os 13.1.1) to my HP 9020 without cutting off the top of the photo.  I have tried borderless and bordered, portrait and landscape.  Same photo prints properly in 8.5X11.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am glad we are making progress,Have you tried to change the layout and check ?

Here is a print driver settings guide - Print Settings Guide (Mac)

Keep me posted!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @jaymac40

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try the steps below -

Load photo paper into the main input tray

Load photo paper into the main paper tray. How you load the paper depends on where the tray is and what type of printer you have.

NOTE: 

If your printer has a separate photo paper tray and you want to use it, consult your user guide on how to print from the tray.

1. Remove any plain paper from the main paper tray.

2. Load the short edge of the photo paper into the tray based on your printer type. If the paper has a perforated tab for handling the photo after it prints, load the paper so the tab faces up or towards you to prevent printing on it.

• Inkjet printers with a front load tray: Glossy or print side facing down

• Adjust the paper width guides so they rest against the edges of the paper.

Print the photo

Open the print dialog to select and change available settings when printing photos.

NOTE: 

Print settings and menu names vary by printer and the application you are printing from.

1. Before printing, edit the photo to improve colors, brightness, contrast and any other appearance settings.

2. Open the photo, click File, and then click Print. For the Photos app, select a layout, and then click Print.

The print settings window opens.

3. If you do not see the following options in the window, click Show Details.

Example of print settings with Show Details  selected

4. Select your printer from the Printer menu.

5. Some printers offer predefined Presets for photo printing. From the Presets menu, select an option that applies to your print job or paper type.

6. From the Paper Size menu, select the paper you are printing on. If necessary, click the arrow at the top or bottom of the pop-up menu to display more sizes.

Some paper sizes have multiple options. Make sure to select the correct borderless paper size, such as 4x6 in/10x15 cm Borderless, if you want to print a borderless photo.

7. Select the Orientation of the photo (portrait for vertical or landscape for horizontal).

8. Click the unnamed print options menu at the center of the dialog to access more print settings.

Unnamed print settings pop-up menu open with Layout selected

9. Make any print job settings changes. Refer to the following list for more information.

• Paper type: Selecting the correct paper type ensures the printer properly applies the ink to the paper you loaded in the printer. Click Media & Quality, and then click the Paper Type menu.

• Paper tray: Select the tray you loaded the photo paper into, if your printer has more than one tray. Click Media & Quality, and then select an option from the Feed from menu.

• Print in color or black and white: Select or de-select Black & White on the main dialog. The Presets menu also includes color and black and white options.

• Adjust print quality: Click Media & Quality, and then move the Quality slider to the desired setting.

• Add or remove a border: Click Layout, and then click the Border menu to select a border width or select None for borderless prints.

• Mirror printing: Reverse an image or document for printing iron-on transfers. Click Layout, and then select the Flip horizontally option.

10. Click Print.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice, but I had already read those instructions and followed them.  It still cuts off the top of the pic on 5X7.  My printer has an alternative tray for photo paper, and the main tray will not accept the 5X7 glossy stock.  So, by necessity, I am using the alternative.

HP Recommended

What is the type of photo paper are you using?

Create a custom paper size using the Print option on the File menu of your application, and then select the new custom size for the print job.

1. Load the custom-size paper into the paper input tray.

2. Open the item you want to print.

3. Click File, and then select Print.

4. In Paper Size, select Manage Custom Sizes.

The Custom Paper Sizes window displays.

Selecting Manage Custom Sizes

5. In the Custom Paper Sizes window, click the plus sign  to create a new paper size, double-click the default untitled name, and then type a new name for the custom paper size.

NOTE: 

Use a different, unique name for the new custom paper size. Do not use an existing paper size name for any new custom paper size names because it overrides the existing preset. For example, if a custom paper size is named A4, then the existing A4 paper size is no longer available as a choice.

Paper Size Name

6. In the Paper Size section, type the dimensions of the custom paper in the Width and Height text boxes, and then set the margins, if desired.

1. Paper Size

2. Margins

7. Click OK.

8. In the print preview window, select the new custom paper size.

Example of the print preview window with the custom paper size selected

9. Change print settings, if desired, and then click OK or Print to print the document.

Let me know how this goes!

HP Recommended

HP Premium Plus Photo Paper High Gloss 5X7" 280 g/m2 11.5 mil Auto Sense*** Borderless

HP Recommended

Were you able to try the custom print option?

HP Recommended

I tried the custom option on the alternate tray; same result.  I cannot try it on the main tray because the printer returns a paper error whenever I put the 5X7 stock in it, even though I close the side stops to the 5" sides and instruct it to use the custom setting.

HP Recommended

Add the AirPrint printer to the Mac printer queue

Confirm you are using AirPrint by adding the printer in System Preferences.

1. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

Figure : Example of the Printers & Scanners window

Example of the Printers & Scanners window
  2. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, and then do one of the following steps.

• If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm it is set up for AirPrint. Click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer, click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed in the Add Printer or Scanner window, go to the Frequently asked questions in this document to resolve connection issues, try to add the printer again, and then continue to the next step.

3. Confirm AirPrint or Secure AirPrint displays in the Use or Print Using menu, and then click Add.

Figure : AirPrint displays in the Use menu

Select AirPrint from the Use menu
  4. Open a document or photo, click File, and then click Print.

Tray 1 only supports, A4 and legal size paper.

Tray 2 support photo paper and cards

Please make sure to insert photo paper in tray 2 and select tray 2 in the print settings before printing.

Let me know how this goes!

HP Recommended

Okay, this helped.  Now it just cuts off a little of the top of the photo.  In other words the picture is not centered vertically on the paper.  But once it is in a frame, it looks right.  I can live with this for what I was doing, but it really should be centered.

HP Recommended

I am glad we are making progress,Have you tried to change the layout and check ?

Here is a print driver settings guide - Print Settings Guide (Mac)

Keep me posted!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.