Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8720
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I just used this printer for the first time. I am having the same issue. HP calls Office Jet Pro 8720 a photo printer, but printed photos come out photo-side down, with ink smudged, as a ruined photo. There better be a setting to change this. Otherwise, this is a HUGE mistake by HP. Please let me know if anyone finds out a solution.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I still have not found a setting or solution.

HP Recommended

I just talked to one of the HP representitaves. In short, there seems to be no way to flip the image side over to top when photo is printed.

The representitive scanned the smuged photo (via shared desktop, controling my iMac after I installed a software and allowed him to do so), and he tried to convince me that it is just a little smudge. It annoyed me so much, and I kep saying "I still don't like it. A cheaper printer never had this issue because image side (not yet completely dried ink side) comes facing up, not touching the machine."

I asked him a very direct question, "Is there a simple way to change the setting so that the image side comes up from the printer?" He mentioned duplex setting, but it did not sound like a simple solution. Instead, he tried to convince me to buy a different model.

Now I am looking into a different model, which does not have this horrible feature (image side comes out facing down), at least when it comes to photo printing. This OfficeJet Pro 8720 seems to have nice other technology-related features, but this feature that images coming out facing down is a failure as a photo printer.

HP Recommended

I agree. Smeared photos. This is a total failure. I am returning it and going for the older model 8710 that prints out face up.

HP Recommended

I've had this printer for a couple of years - too late to send it back.  I haven't tried printing photos until now.  And NOW I find out that it can't print a single photo without it being over-inked and hopelessly smeared.  It isn't just a matter of it coming out face down - every other one seems to get stuck inside and it's already smeared at that point.   I have had a number of HP printers and never encountered this before.  understand that it's been discontinued, but that doesn't help those of us who have one. 

HP Recommended

Like a person before me I have had my printer for a couple of years and did not need to print photos till now., Luckily I do have a backup printer which is able to print photos,. Not very good of HP to build a printer that is incapable of photo printing. I have gone through many HP printers and never had a problem till now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.