Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Dell XPS
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased this HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printer September 30, 2018.  At first it printed okay.  Over the last month or so, I have noticed that when I start printing, the first page will print okay but succeeding pages print with less and less ink to the point that the page is almost blank.  In order to resume printing, I have to go through the Level 3 cleaning cycle - every time.  I am using more ink to fix the printing than I am for actual printing!

I would appreciate any help in fixing this.  I don't want to exchange this printer for a new one just to have the same problem again.  Has anybody else had this problem?  Is this a common issue with this printer series?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@rje1960

Welcome to HP Forums, 
This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips. Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

I'm sorry that you have an issue with your printer. I see that you have already tried cleaning the printhead and issue reoccurred. For further troubleshooting steps, please follow the steps suggested in this document: Click here

If issue persists, I suggest calling our phone support regarding service options.  

I'm going to send you a private message with the information required to get this issue sorted. The only reason why we are utilizing the instructions over the private message as these instructions are specific to your printer model.

To check your private message, please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Roopa-S
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@rje1960

Welcome to HP Forums, 
This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips. Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

I'm sorry that you have an issue with your printer. I see that you have already tried cleaning the printhead and issue reoccurred. For further troubleshooting steps, please follow the steps suggested in this document: Click here

If issue persists, I suggest calling our phone support regarding service options.  

I'm going to send you a private message with the information required to get this issue sorted. The only reason why we are utilizing the instructions over the private message as these instructions are specific to your printer model.

To check your private message, please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Roopa-S
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Roopa-S.

Thank you for your message.  I contacted Support and they were able to help me with my problem.  I used the CHAT function.

I appreciate your help!

RJE

HP Recommended

How did they help you?  I've talked to support several times and they just keep telling me to clean the printer heads.  They did credit me back some of the paper for the HP Ink program I'm paying for, but I'm getting so frustrated having to continue to clean the printer heads (& waste more paper).

HP Recommended

@AlisonBelle

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am surprised that someone responded from HP to this post. I am in repeat mode of the same issue I had with my HP Officejet 6978 that they replaced less than 10 months ago. Once again, I installed brand new genuine HP ink cartridges and the printer said they are not installed correctly. If I install 2 of the 3 colored cartridges (any random order) it recognizes the 2 in there fine and only notes the missing 1. If I install all 3 it says to remove all 3 colored cartridges. AGAIN, GENUINE BRAND NEW HP INK CARTRIDGES (NO CHEAP) WASTED ON THIS PRINTER.  HP is a scam and I'm not surprised that there is a law suite on their shady tactics of making printers fail after a year or less. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.