Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 5255
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the same problem as a number of other HP printer users. When printing BLACK text only, there are horizontal white bands through the text. Colored text is not affected. Images are not affected (even if they are simply black rectangles). The white bands are not evenly spaced vertically.  As you can see from the picture below, I first created a tall gray image and then underneath it put numerous lines of text. The image was printed fine, but the white bands occurred through the text.

I have tried all the solutions that have been proposed. I have cleaned the contacts on the cartridges. I have done the hard reset by following the instructions to unplug the printer. I have run the cleaning processes numerous times. Nothing has worked. The printer was working fine until about the first of November. I left on vacation for that month, returning in early December. I believe I left the printer on during that time. I didn't print anything for a week or more after my return, but beginning about December 15th I did try to print some documents. At first, no black text would print at all. After numerous cleanings and a removal and reinsertion of the cartridges, black text did start to print but the white bands appeared.

I am happy with my printer, and don't wish to have to buy another one, so I am hoping that with all this information SOMEONE will be able to offer me a solution. I have seen references to printing problems after a Windows Update, but don't know if an update has occurred since my return.

Thank you in advance!

ronindallas

Scan_0001.jpg

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ronindallas

Welcome to HP support community.

Manually clean the area around the ink nozzles

1. Gather the following materials:

• A clean, lint-free cloth or a clean, dry cotton swab

• Distilled or bottled water

CAUTION: 

Do not use tap water because it might contain contaminants that can damage the printhead.

2. Gently grasp the handles on either side of the printer, and then raise the ink cartridge access door until it locks into place.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer.

3. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

4. Lift up the lid on the ink cartridge slot, and then pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.

Removing the ink cartridge

5. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

Holding the ink cartridge by its sides.

6. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth or swab with bottled or distilled water.

7. Clean the face and edges around the ink nozzle with the cloth or swab.

CAUTION: 

Do not clean the ink nozzle plate.

Cleaning the area around the ink nozzle

1. Nozzle plate - Do not clean

2. Area surrounding ink nozzle - Do clean

3. Ink cartridge contacts - Do not clean

8. Wait for the cleaned area to dry before you continue (approximately 10 minutes).

9. With the nozzles toward the printer, insert the ink cartridge into its slot until it snaps into place.

NOTE: 

Install the color ink cartridge on the left and the black ink cartridge on the right.

Inserting the ink cartridge.

10. Close the lid on the ink cartridge slot to secure the ink cartridge into place.

11. Repeat these steps to clean around the nozzles on the other ink cartridge.

12. Close the ink cartridge access door.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.