Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet pro 6978
macOS 10.12 Sierra

My printer started printing white streaks, then on subsequent pages negative images, then blank pages. Yet, a test page came out fine in blue ink. I've removed and reinserted all of the cartridges. Still printing blank pages. Does the printer head need to be cleaned? If so, how do I do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I ended up calling HP for help. The tech and I spent 90 minutes together. What finally worked was restarting my computer.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I just did the Clean Printerhead service. The test page came out fine, but a document still came out blank

HP Recommended

I ended up calling HP for help. The tech and I spent 90 minutes together. What finally worked was restarting my computer.

HP Recommended

Well, after working for 2 days, my printer is back to printing blank pages.

HP Recommended

@Waylandr, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Try making a standalone copy in black and color to check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

For now, let us try these steps:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Check the estimated ink levels

On the printer control panel, touch the Ink Level Indicator icon . The control panel displays estimated ink levels. Replace any low or empty cartridges.

Clean the printhead

1. From the printer control panel, open the Setup  menu.

2. Open the Printer Maintenance menu.

3. If necessary, open the Tools menu, and then touch Clean Printhead.

4. If the print quality is unacceptable, touch Clean Again to continue the next level of cleaning. If necessary, repeat these steps for the third cleaning cycle.

5. If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes before you perform all three levels of cleaning again.

Also, perform step 9 and 10 mentioned in this document.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.