07-01-2017 11:45 AM
I have a MacBook Air and my HP Deskjet 6540 is printing blank pages. I have not changed my software or driver, do not receive any error messages. My computer connection is wireless, but the printer connects with a USB cord to my laptop. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks!
Solved! Go to Solution.
07-03-2017 08:54 AM - edited 07-03-2017 08:55 AM
Good Day. Thank you for posting your query in the HP community. I read the post regarding issues with printing from the MAC computer. I will be delighted to assist you here.
Superb description and spectacular troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂
For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this?
- Did this happen after a power outage or surge?
- Did you change the cartridges?
- For a start please print a test page by following the steps from this printer’s user guide http://hp.care/2t9k5tz and check if it prints it out correctly. Please refer to pages 135 and 142 only on how to do it.
- If it prints the test page correctly the printer may not have any hardware issues and it could be driver related.
- If it prints the test page correctly, then reset the MAC printing system from this link: http://hp.care/2s1Aa0C and then add the printer as an HP printer and not as Apple Airprint.
Click the Apple menu icon, and then click System Preferences.
2.) Click Printers and Scanners, Print and Scan, or Print and Fax.
3.) In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button to delete it.
4.) Click the Add button.
5.) Find, and then select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.
6.) Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer.
7.) Avoid the AirPrint driver. Once the correct HP driver is chosen, select Add to add the printer to the list. 8.) Try to print.
Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. It will definitely fix the issue for you.
Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.
Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂
I am an HP Employee
07-03-2017 09:40 AM
Hi, David, thanks so much! I changed the cartridges, ran a test, and the problem was solved without doing the other steps. It's possible there was a power outage and that this contributed to the issue.
07-03-2017 09:46 AM
I am really glad that the issue has been resolved. You've displayed infinite patience, fabulous skills coupled with an indefatigable spirit to resolve the issue. Kudos to you for a job well done. It has been an absolute privilege to have shared this platform with you and to work with you. 🙂
To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.
Take care and have a blessed week ahead.
I am an HP Employee
12-07-2018 02:14 PM
A Print Quality Diagnostic sheet showed a blank box where Black was. Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Photo looked normal. I printed in color and it was fine. I changed the Black cartridege even though the other was judged full. It is still printing a blank page if directed to print Black. Any ideas now?
12-07-2018 02:17 PM
Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!
12-04-2019 06:39 AM
I have Officejet pro 6978. Yesterday, printer output had streaks of white. Subsequent pages were fainter and fainter. Now it's printing blank pages. Ink levels are fine. I removed and reinserted all of the cartridges. Then I printed a test page which came out fine. Now, however, it's still printing blank pages.