Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How do you force the 5525 to print in black only? I've installed a new cartridge, so I know there is abundant ink, how the printer still tries to print in colour.

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Please read this post then provide some details.  What operating system?  What program are you printing from?  What paper type?  Do you have ink in all the color cartridges?

The printer will not use black ink when printing on photo paper since the pigmented black ink is not compatible with photo paper.

The printer will typically mix color ink to make grayscale when printing graphics to provide better print quality (the color droplets are much smaller and provide finer print).

Depending on the OS you may have an option for "print in grayscale" and "black ink only".  Both should be checked to force black-only printing.

The Photosmart 5525 has separate ink cartridges and printheads.  To prevent damage to the printheads all the colors (and black) may be required to have ink present to print, even in black only.  See the document here for information on how ink is used.  In the vocabulary of that document the Photosmart 5525 is an IIC printer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
I'm using Windows 7 64 bit OS. I just want to print the odd email using only black ink. That reservoir is brand new, and there is still about 25% coloured ink left. I've tried every change in the preferences window, and it still tries to print in colour. Is it not possible to print a document that was created in colour in black and white?

Thanks for responding.
HP Recommended

The one thing to check would be the paper type - I woud suggest setting this to Plain Paper rather than automatic.  Are there any error messages on the printer or computer?

I will download and install the drivers and make other suggestions, it will take a bit of time as it is a large download and my connection is not very speedy.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
I've got it set on plain paper and, no, there are no error messages.
HP Recommended

Go to the Devices and Printers folder, right click on the Photosmart 5520, select Printing Preferences, Advanced, and set Print in Grayscale to Black Ink Only, OK.

ps 5520 black.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thanks, again for responding. I tried that, but it didn't offer me the the option to print black only. My options were "fast draft", "normal", "best" and "maximum dpi" which had kind of a warning symbol next to it.

HP Recommended

In the Advanced tab you only have only print quality settings?  

I would suggest downloading and installing the latest driver from HP here.  The screen shot I showed is from this driver that I just installed.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thanks. I downloaded the new driver, and set up the printer. It asked me to input my IP address, which I don't remember doing when I first set up the printer. Also, I was able to follow your screen shot, and change the settings in my printer preferences. When it gave me a status report on the printer it said that it was online, but that there was an unknown problem with it, and to check the screen of the printer. It showed nothing out of the ordinary. However, I did print off an email, and it printed in b&w. So, it would see that it is working fine, but I'm just wondering about this unknown error.

Any, thanks very much for your help.

...Brent

HP Recommended

What exactly is the error message?  Was it a one time thing or does it reoccur whenever you try to print?

Running the diagnostics at http://www.hp.com/go/tools may help resolve the issue.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.