Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm using an envy 4520 printer in wifi direct mode with an HP Windows 10 computer. It works fine except for one thing: it only prints in black. PRINT dialog box/preferences shows no choice for color. If I'm using a USB cable connection, then color choice shows in dialogue box/preferences and color printing works fine. I could use USB connection, but I'd rather keep the USB port free for other uses; the computer only has 3 USB A ports. ( Port expanders seem to introduce other problems. )

Is there a way to get color printing using wifi-direct?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Y_no_wifi_color
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Are you using HP Smart App to print or printer full feature drivers?

If you have not tried HP Smart App, let’s download the app from the Windows Store and try printing using the app.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Y_no_wifi_color

Please try adding the printer using the IP address - 

1.) Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.

2.) Choose “Printers & scanners“.

3.) Select “Add a printer or scanner“.

4.) Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it.

5.) Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“.

6.) Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list.

7.) Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel. 

8.) Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.

Let me know how that goes. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Asmita, I've followed these directions to Step 8, and I am in fact prompted to enter the type of network adapter installed in the printer. The dropdown list you mention offers 3 choices for HP: Jet Direct, JetDirect Ex (multiport) and JetDirct Ex (sjngle port). Which one is right for the Envy 4520? Or should I just go with "Generic Network Card?"

HP Recommended

@Y_no_wifi_color I suggest you go with the generic network card,

And keep us posted with the results.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.