Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased and set up this HP Office Jet 4650 printer today. Unfortunately it is out of date (warranty wise).  I've printed out the alignment page, but the printer doesn't recognize it.  The printing is not straight on the page.  I was prompted to scan or print again -- I did both but the alignment is still not recognized.  I have checked the paper to make sure the paper guide is tightly next to the paper.  (I read that was a problem for someone else).

Also, when the printer first starts (taking the paper to print) it makes a horrible noise.  Is it suppose to do this?  Once it actually starts printing, it quiets down.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@CrazyAbtEnglish

Welcome to HP support community.

Perform a power reset

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  5. Plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector and printer.
  6. Turn on the printer.

Update the printer firmware

Refer this HP document for the steps to update firmware:- Click here

Alternatively, try the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Inkjet Printers - 'Alignment Unsuccessful' Error Message Displays

Aligning the ink cartridges correctly aligns the printhead with the printer. Align the printer from the printer control panel, then evaluate the results.

1. Make sure to load the input tray with plain, white paper.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools.

4. Swipe up on the display, then touch Align Printer.

An alignment page prints.

5. Wait for the alignment page to fully eject from the printer.

NOTE:

Before a print job, the printer automatically extends the output tray extender. Do not push in the output tray extender until the print job is complete.

6. Lift the scanner lid.

7. Place the alignment page with the print side down on the scanner glass. Position it according to the engraved guides around the glass.

Image: Placing the alignment page on the scanner glass

8. Close the scanner lid, then touch OK

The printer aligns the ink cartridges.

9. Try to print again.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@CrazyAbtEnglish

Welcome to HP support community.

Perform a power reset

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  5. Plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector and printer.
  6. Turn on the printer.

Update the printer firmware

Refer this HP document for the steps to update firmware:- Click here

Alternatively, try the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Inkjet Printers - 'Alignment Unsuccessful' Error Message Displays

Aligning the ink cartridges correctly aligns the printhead with the printer. Align the printer from the printer control panel, then evaluate the results.

1. Make sure to load the input tray with plain, white paper.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools.

4. Swipe up on the display, then touch Align Printer.

An alignment page prints.

5. Wait for the alignment page to fully eject from the printer.

NOTE:

Before a print job, the printer automatically extends the output tray extender. Do not push in the output tray extender until the print job is complete.

6. Lift the scanner lid.

7. Place the alignment page with the print side down on the scanner glass. Position it according to the engraved guides around the glass.

Image: Placing the alignment page on the scanner glass

8. Close the scanner lid, then touch OK

The printer aligns the ink cartridges.

9. Try to print again.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestions.

I performed a power reset. 

Also I tried to align the printer but it still gave the message that the alignment scan could not be detected. 

I checked for updates but the printer said that I had the most current available. 

As for servicing the printer, that probably won't happen as the warranty is already expired -- it expired in 2018 before I even bought the printer.

It looks to me like I have a lemon. 😞

HP Recommended

@CrazyAbtEnglish

Check the scanner bar functionality: Lift the scanner lid slightly, and then press the Copy button or icon to start a copy job. If the scanner light does not move or illuminate, the scanner mechanism requires servicing.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.