Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5646
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I need to print to A5 card. The document prints out fine on A5 paper but when I try to use 250GSM card the printer clearly struggles with feeding the card and only part of the image is printed. Is there any adjustment I can make to accommodate the card or alternatively what is the highest GSM the printer can cope with?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Grayling1 

In my opinion:

It is not going to work.

The Specifications and even the printer series Datasheet  are a bit vague on the subject of "cards", though the Datasheet, at least, mentions card media.

Media type "card" usually refers to "Index" card (an ISO manufacturing standard for a particular type of card paper).

HP Inkjet printers that support "card" - Index card - media typically means (supports) that Media as follows:

Index Card - Weight -163 to 200 gsm

The problem is that although the printer does support Photo paper media to 250 gsm, you cannot (usually) select Media type photo paper and then instead load card paper in the tray (and actually use it).  Many printers can sense "photo paper" and will not let you sneak in the card paper as a substitute. 

Of course, you can try it.  That is, select Media type (kind of paper) as Photo and then load your card paper, set the paper size on the printer control panel as "Custom" (assuming the A5 paper size is not in the list.

Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper at the Printer Panel

Open Printer Tray,

If you have not yet done so, add desired paper type

Close Tray

IF applicable for your printer:

On the printer control panel, Click Modify (wording varies), set the paper size and type, Click OK

NOTE:  If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down list, Select Custom

I cannot tell you more about trying to "get around" the restrictions - I don't have (nor do I speak) Mac OS.

References

User Guide 

Load Media - Page 11

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY 5646 e-All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.