Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
2600n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a new laptop that already had Windows 10 (64-bit) installed.

When I connect my 2600n printer to the laptop via USB, and attempt to print anything, the print function recognizes that the 2600n is available, but the software acts as if I selected the "Print to file" option intead of sending the data to my printer.

On the Microsoft website, I looked for a Windows 10 compatible driver for the 2600n.  I had to download the Microsoft Update Catalog which I searched.  The catalog lists the 2600n, but it doesn't list Windows 10 as supporting it.  The latest version of windows that supports 2600n is Windows 8.1.

Does HP have a driver for the 2600n that works on Windows 10 (64-bit) ? ... and/or where do I find it ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I noticed that my 2600n was not the default printer.  Even though I selected the 2600n for the print operation, Windows 10 mush have a bug in its driver and it still sends it to the default.  The default is to print to a pdf file.

3 times in 3 different ways, I tried to change the default printer to the 2600n, and my attempts were ignored.
The 3rd time, it looked like it changed the default printer to what I wanted, but when I went to use it,
it was the same old problem.  So I exited from the print operation, and exited from the browser where
I was attempting the print and did something else.

I was using the NotePad editor later, when I thought I'd try to print something again, and this time it worked.

Apparently changing the default printer didn't take effect right way, and I had to exit from the function where I was doing the printing before it would work.

So the solution is to change the 2600n to be the default printer ... and wait a while and do something else,
exiting from whatever you were doing before trying again.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

No for Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 as you can see:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=446154&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4063

My suggestion: use software and driver for Windows 7 then update using Plug-n-Play package for Windows 8.  If still doesn't work, try Windows 10 updates, hope it can find a generic driver for you to print and if still no luck, it's time to buy new printer.

Good luck.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I noticed that my 2600n was not the default printer.  Even though I selected the 2600n for the print operation, Windows 10 mush have a bug in its driver and it still sends it to the default.  The default is to print to a pdf file.

3 times in 3 different ways, I tried to change the default printer to the 2600n, and my attempts were ignored.
The 3rd time, it looked like it changed the default printer to what I wanted, but when I went to use it,
it was the same old problem.  So I exited from the print operation, and exited from the browser where
I was attempting the print and did something else.

I was using the NotePad editor later, when I thought I'd try to print something again, and this time it worked.

Apparently changing the default printer didn't take effect right way, and I had to exit from the function where I was doing the printing before it would work.

So the solution is to change the 2600n to be the default printer ... and wait a while and do something else,
exiting from whatever you were doing before trying again.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.