Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Custom Built
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I created a CD insert with MS Publisher and printed it on A4 with my old Photosmart C4780 I could print guides to tell me where to cut the paper so it would fit into a CD case. There does not seem to be this facility with my new Envy 5010.

The page border box is greyed out in Properties, Layout.

Will I have to re-create the template or maybe put a fine border around the page? The CD insert size is 9.5 x 4.7 inches.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Gionese 

Not sure what you are using - the following works using Avery98101CDStomperCDLabelingSystem and Office Word:

Open the .doc template in Word

Do not convert to .docx

Double click on the edge of the object that "makes the circle"

Select "Shape Outline" > Weight > Select a "pt" width for your line

Color is optional, of course...

Example - Word .doc file > Template 98101

Avery_CD_Label_Test_Word_98101Avery_CD_Label_Test_Word_98101

If you prefer to do so, you can also place a border around the cell.

Click the corner of the cell

Click the drop-down box for "Borders"

In turn, click each "Bottom Border" > Top Border > Left Border > Right Border

(To remove, repeat the process)

Avery_CD_Label_Test_Word_98101_Border_2Avery_CD_Label_Test_Word_98101_Border_2

Avery Design and Print Software can also make CD labels, though at the moment I have not tested whether you can add "cut lines" to the project for the purpose of creating the "fit to case" border.

Avery Design and Print (Download for Desktop)

References

HP Printers - Printing Labels for Addresses, CDs, DVDs, and More

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms or "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Additional "How-to" procedures

Search for additional solutions...

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

HP ENVY 5010 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur,

My question isn't about labels.
I have a template in Microsoft Publisher (Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016) which I have created so I can make an insert for a CD jewel case. The page size is 21.2 cm x 12 cm. When I have completed the insert, I print it on A4 paper. There is only room for 1 insert on an A4 page  (landscape). When I had an HP Photosmart C4780, there was an option to print guides which indicated the size of the insert. Using these guides, I could cut the paper so that the insert fitted into the jewel case.

There does not seem to be an option to print these guides in my knew Envy 5010 printer. The guides are just two lines, at right angles to each other.
Am I missing something?

HP Recommended

@Gionese 

Understood.

I am not aware of a feature on the Envy 5010 that does what you want.

The Photosmart C4780 printer was introduced in mid-2009.  It might have been the case that the printing options / preview settings were still part of the printer dialog in some way that would allow you to print what you describe.

My experience with templates, either those I have created in Office Word or those I use from (for example) Avery, provide the means of editing and printing the content including cut-lines, guides, and indicators needed.

I do not have the particular experience that will help you.

I will graciously withdraw.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply, Dragon-Fur.
I will have to have a better look at MS Publisher to see if there is a solution there. I always used the Photosmart to get the guides so I haven't really looked that intensely at Publisher. Thanks for giving me something to work on.

Dave

HP Recommended

@Gionese 

You are welcome.

If I come across anything else, I will edit / post back.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.