Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet2600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Help please.....Just bought a Deskjet2600 and am desperately trying to set-up and save new 'printing shortcuts' but after making the changes it will not 'save' them as a new shortcut.

My HP manual says this.....

To add a new printing shortcut, select an existing shortcut similar to the one you want to create, set the desired printing preferences in the Printing Shortcuts or Printing Shortcut tab, click Save As and enter a name, and then click OK.

This works fine on my Windows 7 laptop but just will not work on my Windows 10 laptop

Is there a fix or an update available, I am surely not the only one with this problem

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hellooooooooooooo.....is anybody there ?

HP Recommended

@Sinbadthebad, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Thank you for your patience. Let us try these steps to create a custom shortcut:

1. In the print settings window, click the Printing Shortcut tab, then click one of the shortcut names in the list.

2. Change any settings using the menus in the right side of the window.

A User Specified Print Settings shortcut displays at the bottom of the shortcuts list.

Figure : User Specified Print Settings shortcut in Printing Shortcuts window

User Specified Print Settings shortcut in Printing Shortcuts window
  3. Click the shortcut to highlight it, then click Save As to rename it.

To set defaults for all print jobs

1. Search Windows for 'printers', then click Devices and Printers in the search results.

2. Right-click the icon for your printer, then click Printer properties.

Figure : Right click your printer and select Printer properties

Right click your printer and select Printer properties
  3. Click the Advanced tab, then click Printing Defaults.

Figure : Click Printing Defaults on the Advanced tab in Printer Properties

Click Printing Defaults on the Advanced tab in Printer Properties
  4. Change any settings you want as defaults in the Printing Defaults window, then click OK.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Kumar 0307

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried all the methods that you suggest over and over again but all result in failure.

You say...'A User Specified Print Settings shortcut displays at the bottom of the shortcuts list'.....this does not happen !

What happens is this ...I get a dialogue box pop-up  but when I try to save the new shortcut it does not save it as you say it should.

You will note that this did work when I first installed the printer and I was able to save just one new one " 'B'day and xmas cards' " but since then it fails to save any new ones I try.

Sinbadthebad

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

@Sinbadthebad

This looks like a print driver compatibility issue. Let us install the printer using Win 7 compatible driver on your Win 10 PC that may help.

Root uninstall and reinstallation of printer drivers: 

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OMG Kumar

I hope that I am capable of doing all that.

I will try it tomorrow and let you know

Thanks for your help

Sinbad

HP Recommended

I have decided not to install a new driver as you suggest.

I don't feel competent enough to make such radical changes to my computer, if it all goes wrong I may have more problems than I can deal with.

I shall just have to put up with the poor performance of this printer and bear this experience in mind for the future.

Sinbadthebad

HP Recommended

@Sinbadthebad

I understand. In this case, kindly contact HP Support team for one on one interaction by which you will have help to perform the required troubleshooting steps that may resolve this issue.

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar

I think that in the circumstances, now that you have acknowledged that a problem exists, that I shall wait until you come up with a 'fix' that I can download and install to resolve the problem without me having to make registry changes that may or may not resolve the issue and just may cause me to experience more problems.

Thanks for your assistance

Sinbad

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.