Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have just set-up my new HP Officejet Pro 8600. Is it true that I can print stacks of envelopes as a media type but cannot simply slip an envelope in the feeder and print a single envelope?

I work from an active desk and complete office tasks such as scanning incoming documents, faxing out correspondence, etc. All individual tasks without a hassle. How do I print a single envelope from my postage program to mail out a letter? Huh, without the hassle of removing media already in the feeder for standard daily printing????

If it helps, I use VISTA Home

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> No need for an $80 2500 sheet feeder

I think that's a typo :TongueOut: and 8lives probably means a "250 sheet" additional paper tray!

But you have raised the exact same question that made me delay my printer upgrade for many months, because I couldn't find a printer (in this '8600' class of printers) that would let me feed in just one occasional envelope, without needing to remove and "re-assign" the whole darned paper tray!!!  Absolutely infuriating!!

(The Epson near equivalent Workforce printers apparently take one-off envelopes through their rear trays, but those rear trays need extra "behind the printer" access that my desk-setup couldn't allow - and I did want an HP printer anyway!!)

So (because I could afford the extra printer height as well as the extra cost!) I gave up and bought one of those additional "250 sheet" paper trays, costing around 50UK pounds, and which is now dedicated to my DL envelopes, of which I might print maybe two or three a month!!  An absolutely crazy design flaw in my exasperated opinion!!!

But I love my 8600 printer otherwise!

Colin P.

--
Help calm this edgy world - Be quick to smile. Be slow to take offence.

View solution in original post

79 REPLIES 79
HP Recommended

There is no way to print without using the input tray on your model.

You would need the 8600 Premium N991n which comes with two input trays.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Will HP sell a second input (media) tray for the Officejet Pro 8600? Seems to me easier to have a pre-loaded tray for envelopes and just switch out the trays instead of messing with paper.

HP Recommended

Both the low end 8600's have a 250 sheet optional paper tray listed. (80$ US)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I go through a ream every few weeks. No need for an $80 2500 sheet feeder. Just a spare 250 sheet drawer will do. I will check with customer serv ice.

thank you for being so responsive. Much appreciate knowing my options. Miss my 6500.

HP Recommended

> No need for an $80 2500 sheet feeder

I think that's a typo :TongueOut: and 8lives probably means a "250 sheet" additional paper tray!

But you have raised the exact same question that made me delay my printer upgrade for many months, because I couldn't find a printer (in this '8600' class of printers) that would let me feed in just one occasional envelope, without needing to remove and "re-assign" the whole darned paper tray!!!  Absolutely infuriating!!

(The Epson near equivalent Workforce printers apparently take one-off envelopes through their rear trays, but those rear trays need extra "behind the printer" access that my desk-setup couldn't allow - and I did want an HP printer anyway!!)

So (because I could afford the extra printer height as well as the extra cost!) I gave up and bought one of those additional "250 sheet" paper trays, costing around 50UK pounds, and which is now dedicated to my DL envelopes, of which I might print maybe two or three a month!!  An absolutely crazy design flaw in my exasperated opinion!!!

But I love my 8600 printer otherwise!

Colin P.

--
Help calm this edgy world - Be quick to smile. Be slow to take offence.
HP Recommended

I have a new 8600 series, have read thru the website info and STILL cannot print a simple envelope from either upper or lower tray.  The envelope in the tray gets pushed thru the printer w/o printing the address --- then the address gets printed on a sheet of paper from that same tray.  I've gone thru various options of the exercise w/ no success.  I'm DISGUSTED.  This should be a very simple function, I can't believe I've so far spent 30 minutes to print an address on an envelope. 

HP Recommended

Go to the 8600 Printing preferences, select "Paper/Quality" then under "Paper Size" select "Envelope #10".

Apply that change and exit.

Using Microsoft Office Word to print envelopes.

Select the envelopes are centered in the tray option and select the envelope #10 size.

HP Recommended

I tried to set the 8600 for #10 eps and my printer preferences to #10 eps and still could not print a single envelope in the tray.  I have the extra tray, however, i need it for letter size.  Anyone successful in printing just one envelope?

HP Recommended

Today, I had occasion to print an envelope for the first time on my new Officejet Pro 8600 Plus. It's a classic tale, where the hero struggles but comes out OK in the end.

For the first time, I noticed there's no manual feed. :catsad:

So my procedure (Windows Vista) is this:

1. Replace tray paper with one envelope.
  2. Adjust vertical and horizontal paper sizer-holder sliders in tray. (I missed the longitudinal slider the first time, which created a wrong-size error.)
  3. Change printer settings! Go to Printer preferences -> Paper/Quality tab -> Paper size, and choose the appropriate setting. (E.g. Envelope #10)
  4. And then print using MS Word's envelope wizard.

More hoops than I expected. But the print was pretty good, with only mild envelope bending.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.