Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5534
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When printing using Hallmark card studio deluxe, print is too far to the left.  When printing with Avery, print is too far to the right.  I have tried to solve the problem by unplugging the printer and removing the ink cartridges, still prints to left/right.

No problem with scans/copying/printing.

I used to use HP Creations to design and print all my card inserts , which was perfect.  Since that has been discontinued I am stuck .

Please is there a solution to solve this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Angelpie1 

Edits - Correct the image entry for WPV

It sounds like 1 page of content to be on the left side of piece of paper that you will fold in half.

If you have access to the Word version of your document, you can copy page 2 into a new Word document and print that 1 page of content using the 2-sheets per paper setting.

Do you have at least access to the PDF file that has the several pages of content?

The simpler answer is to just extract the data you need and print that on a piece of paper.

For example - one method:

Open the PDF file

Set Pages to print = 2

Set Page Size & Handling

Multiple 

Pages per sheet = 2

Print on one side (no duplex)

Switch on / off the "Print page border" option to visualize how the content will appear on the paper.

This is the point at which you can decide whether the PDF print method is going to work.  PDF printing forces margins that may or may not be what you want / need for the content.

If the "border" around the content is not placing that content in the way you want it printed, do not use this method.

Instead, close the print menu

Focus the PDF view on Page 2

Create a Snip of the content on page 2 and save the snipped image

Open the image in some form of photo editing / printing software and print.

For example, Windows 7 still provides Windows Photo Viewer.

Open your saved image content in Windows Photo Viewer

Print the content 

Paper Size A4

Image size at the larger of the sizes available for "two photos on a paper" - for example, on Letter size paper, this would be 5x7 inches

There is still a margin deficit using this method.

The Windows Photo Viewer example shown uses an actual image of a bird - your saved image would be of the text on Page 2 of your PDF file.

Example - Windows Photo Viewer - Print on Letter Paper - 1 or 2 copies of image

Print_Photo_WPV_Letter_3Print_Photo_WPV_Letter_3

As to the incompatible nature of the printer - I cannot verify that, of course.  There are just too many unknowns - I don't have your printer, I am using Windows 10 (and have access to additional tools and options), our stand sheet size is "letter" and not A4, your content is unavailable to me (nor do I want it).  I am guessing that the printer is capable of doing the task if the conditions to get the content onto the paper are set up as necessary.

I am out of ideas for the moment.  

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Angelpie1 

Yes, most everyone misses Photo Creations.  T'is sad that it is no longer available.

I don't have your printer nor have I seen Windows 7 for a long time...

I have not used Hallmark "anything".  The best I could do with this is shunt you off the the Hallmark troubleshooting / forum / support site.

I do print a variety of cards, card inserts, labels, and the like, using Avery, Word, and PDF printing.

At this writing, I have an HP Officejet Pro 9025 - the printer supports a wide variety of features and options.

No promises, of course.  I will try to help...

Comment:

One thing that can throw off the setup is the paper size.  Some paper sizes in some printers are not easily compatible.  Throw duplex into the mix and it can get weird in a hurry.  For example, if the paper size is supported but it is not a standard size (like "letter" or A4 paper), the right / left margins can be offset in surprising ways.  It has more to do with the odd size of paper than the  normal behavior of print margins.  If the orientation is unexpected (on a particular paper size), then the printer  may behave as if the bottom larger margin (if your printer has a larger bottom margin restriction) is on the side.

First thing: 

Check the Printer Specifications to make sure the printer supports what you are trying to do.

Read the sections in Paper Handling

The "Supported Custom Sizes" section notes that Windows does not support custom sizes. 

If the paper size and the media type (kind of paper) is supported...

Some questions....

What are you trying to print?

For example...

• Paper size? (unfolded sheet of paper size)
  • Media type?  (Photo paper, brochure matte, Index, for example)
  • Is the content mixed image / text?
  • Are you printing in duplex?
  • Are you trying to print in Booklet (a form of "folded card" printing)
  • Software mentioned, have you tried using Word?
  • Are you using a template?  If yes, name of Template (Avery)

Tell me as much as you will about the project and I will see if I can test the setup / check what is happening.

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn how to use your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY 5534 e-All-in-One Printer

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I am using A4 plain paper  -  The contents is plain text  -  I was not printing in duplex - I was trying to print in booklet form for my card insert -  The template I was using is Avery product MD2001  -  I tried using word in booklet form for my insert but there was no option to align my text in the centre.

Thank you 

Regards

Angelpie1

HP Recommended

@Angelpie1 

Edits - Update Content

Fold is "tall" ?

Fold in half

Binding on Left 

Example

Four pages total content, one sheet of paper

Normally, "booklet" printing assumes duplex - this is because "booklet" usually assumes a folded card or book type content, starting on Page 1 (front right and back of card), continuing on Page 2 (inside left), Page 3 (inside right, message area), Page 4 (back of card if four-page-total, else inside left)

Booklet_Print_9025_PDF_1Booklet_Print_9025_PDF_1

If printing more than one page of content on a sheet of paper, but not in duplex, then the printed content could simply be printed as a Multiple (2 pages on a sheet).   Yes?

Assuming the paper size / shape is not the "weirdness" that is resulting in odd margins and content shift,

Then

One of the settings that impacts the location of the content on the page is "gutter" placement and width.  Word allows you to shift the content with respect to the Gutter (binding side - this is normally "left" in English documents, for example). 

Gutter and other margin settings are saved even when the file is exported to PDF.

An example of the Gutter placement setup and PDF printing is presented in this Solution Thread:

Solved - When printing 2 pages of b5 on one side of a a4 sheet how do you seperate the two b5 pages ...

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I am using A4 paper folded in half with binding on the left to make the inside ( insert) of a A5 greetings card. When in PDF to print I only select page 2 as that is only what I need to print.

I have tried doing it again even by shifting the margins in Avery, it only moves by 14mm max, I think it needs shifting by 45mm.

I have tried using Hallmark Card Studio again, even shifting the text across but still turns out the same as if it has not been moved.

I have used the card studio on a previous printer I had  ( Kodak ) few years ago, then I had to replace my printer with the HP Envy I have now. As photo creations came with that I did not need to use the card studio.

I am beggining to think that my printer is not compatable with either of Avery and Hallmark Card Studio : ( 

My printer is all up to date as in drivers, no more updates available.

I don't really want to replace my printer with a different make as I use the instant ink which I think is a good deal.

I will be gratefull for any help for a solution with the problems i'm having.

Regards

Angelpie1

HP Recommended

@Angelpie1 

Edits - Correct the image entry for WPV

It sounds like 1 page of content to be on the left side of piece of paper that you will fold in half.

If you have access to the Word version of your document, you can copy page 2 into a new Word document and print that 1 page of content using the 2-sheets per paper setting.

Do you have at least access to the PDF file that has the several pages of content?

The simpler answer is to just extract the data you need and print that on a piece of paper.

For example - one method:

Open the PDF file

Set Pages to print = 2

Set Page Size & Handling

Multiple 

Pages per sheet = 2

Print on one side (no duplex)

Switch on / off the "Print page border" option to visualize how the content will appear on the paper.

This is the point at which you can decide whether the PDF print method is going to work.  PDF printing forces margins that may or may not be what you want / need for the content.

If the "border" around the content is not placing that content in the way you want it printed, do not use this method.

Instead, close the print menu

Focus the PDF view on Page 2

Create a Snip of the content on page 2 and save the snipped image

Open the image in some form of photo editing / printing software and print.

For example, Windows 7 still provides Windows Photo Viewer.

Open your saved image content in Windows Photo Viewer

Print the content 

Paper Size A4

Image size at the larger of the sizes available for "two photos on a paper" - for example, on Letter size paper, this would be 5x7 inches

There is still a margin deficit using this method.

The Windows Photo Viewer example shown uses an actual image of a bird - your saved image would be of the text on Page 2 of your PDF file.

Example - Windows Photo Viewer - Print on Letter Paper - 1 or 2 copies of image

Print_Photo_WPV_Letter_3Print_Photo_WPV_Letter_3

As to the incompatible nature of the printer - I cannot verify that, of course.  There are just too many unknowns - I don't have your printer, I am using Windows 10 (and have access to additional tools and options), our stand sheet size is "letter" and not A4, your content is unavailable to me (nor do I want it).  I am guessing that the printer is capable of doing the task if the conditions to get the content onto the paper are set up as necessary.

I am out of ideas for the moment.  

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help Dragon-Fur.

I can finally use Halmark Card Studio .  I exported and saved the card insert to PDF , it printed perfectly.

I'm so happy I can make card inserts again : )

Thank you again.

Kind regards

Angelpie1

HP Recommended

@Angelpie1 

Persistence wins!

You are welcome.

I am glad it is working.

Happy Printing.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.