Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Office Jet 4650

Problem Description: I had been using IPhone hotspot to print on my Apple air book. That no longer works but there is a “Direct-4E-HO Officejet 4650 icon that does let me print. My printer says they will cancel any further attempts to print because I need to connect to WiFi. I work out of the country 5 months during the year and do not want the expense of WiFi. Also, I am enrolled in an HP ink cartridge program and will soon need cartridges. Originally I thought I could just use a USB connector but that doesn’t work. I would like to continue the HP supply program but to not want to pay $80 per month for a wifi system I rarely use. HP does bill me ~ $4.67 each month. (That amount is charged to AmEx.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @911grrr

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Using the printer on a hotspot network is not recommended and may not work. Hp recommends connecting the printer to a wireless router or using a USB cable.

Alternatively, you may also use Wifi-Direct to print from your Apple devices to the printer. Refer to this document for more info.

For Hp Instant Ink to work, the printer has to be connected to the Internet. Else, the Instant Ink servers will not know the status of the ink level to send the ink cartridges.

For more info on Instant Ink, you may refer to the FAQ document here

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.