Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540 All-in-One Printer
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I don't have a private internet connection. How can I set up my old wireless printer to print and scan via USB?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jamico28, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Follow the steps below to connect the printer via USB to the computer-

1. Turn on the printer, and then connect a USB cable to the printer and to an available port on the computer.

2. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

3. Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Example of the Printers & Scanners window

4. Check if the name of your printer displays in the Printers list. Do one of the following steps, depending on if the printer is listed or not.

• If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm communication and to make sure the correct driver is used. Click the name of your printer, then click the minus sign to delete the printer. Once the printer is removed, click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed in the Add Printer or Scanner window, make sure the printer is turned on and connected to the Mac and that you have an Internet connection, try to add the printer again, and then continue to the next step.

5. Click the Use or Print Using menu, and then select the name of your printer or AirPrint.

note:

Selecting a Generic driver option from the Use menu can result in limited printer functionality.

Select your printer name or AirPrint in the Use menu in the Add window

6. Click Add to add the printer to the list.

7. Try to print, scan, or fax, depending on your printer functionality.

Download the HP Utility for Mac from here.

Also, refer to the document USB Printer Setup (Mac) for additional help.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@jamico28, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Follow the steps below to connect the printer via USB to the computer-

1. Turn on the printer, and then connect a USB cable to the printer and to an available port on the computer.

2. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

3. Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Example of the Printers & Scanners window

4. Check if the name of your printer displays in the Printers list. Do one of the following steps, depending on if the printer is listed or not.

• If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm communication and to make sure the correct driver is used. Click the name of your printer, then click the minus sign to delete the printer. Once the printer is removed, click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed in the Add Printer or Scanner window, make sure the printer is turned on and connected to the Mac and that you have an Internet connection, try to add the printer again, and then continue to the next step.

5. Click the Use or Print Using menu, and then select the name of your printer or AirPrint.

note:

Selecting a Generic driver option from the Use menu can result in limited printer functionality.

Select your printer name or AirPrint in the Use menu in the Add window

6. Click Add to add the printer to the list.

7. Try to print, scan, or fax, depending on your printer functionality.

Download the HP Utility for Mac from here.

Also, refer to the document USB Printer Setup (Mac) for additional help.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much! So far, so good. It prints via usb.

HP Recommended

@jamico28

That's great! Happy to hear that.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.