Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I finally got my 2540 networked but now when I try to print in black and white, it prints in red.  However, black is included when I print the test strip.  Does it need a color cartridge replaced (I just put a new black one in).  Thanks for any help you guys may can offer.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that you require assistance regarding print quality issues with the printer not printing in black. I will be a delight to assist you here.Smiley Happy

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. Smiley Happy Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you make copies directly from the printer and check if black comes out fine?
  • Please let me know the operating system installed on the computer. Is it Windows or Mac?
  • If it is a Mac what is the version of the OS?
  • If it is Windows, is it windows 7, 8 or 10?
  • For now please make 2 copies in black directly from the printer.

If it copies fine please perform these steps if the operating system is a MAC.

Steps to add the printer:

1.) Click the Apple menu icon, and then click System Preferences.

2.) Click Printers and Scanners, Print and Scan, or Print and Fax.

3.) In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button to delete it.

4.) Click the Add button.

5.) Find, and then select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

6.) Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer.

7.) Avoid the AirPrint driver. Once the correct HP driver is chosen, select Add to add the printer to the list.

8.) Try to print. This should fix the issue.

If the operating system is Windows then please try these steps to uninstall and reinstall the printer.

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top.
  • Click on print server properties.
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box,
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • Ignore the Regedit option if it cannot be done.
  • Restart the PC again.

Then download the latest full feature driver from http://hp.care/2tPH5zU and install it on the computer after selecting the correct operating system. 

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer.

This should do the trick for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. Smiley Happy

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.  Turns out that I had to install a new color cartridge as well as a new black and white one.  Printing normally now..

HP Recommended

Hi @Thann

I read your quick response completely. I am really happy for you that the issue has been resolved. You've displayed brilliant technical expertise, a great temperament and immense patience to get the issue resolved. Kudos to you for a job well done. Smiley Happy Based on your first post I gave you the steps to resolve the issue.  I did not know the color cartridge had run out of ink or was low on ink based on your first post. Had I known that, I would have suggested a replacement of the color cartridge right away.

I did not want you to spend a lot of money on another cartridge if the steps that I gave you would do the trick. I don't live in Bill Gates' neighborhood and obviously was trying to save some money for you here. nevertheless, it turned out that the color cartridge also needed a replacement. I am really happy for you that the issue is resolved. 

So the troubleshooting steps given were apt to the situation mentioned in your earlier post. I am really happy for you in this regard that you have a great working printer. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy Trust me, I've done all I can to assist you, by keeping your best interest in mind. I honestly hope the printer works great and stays healthy for a long time. Smiley Happy

A lot of time effort and research went into providing the required solution

If this helps, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Please remember if you as a customer do it, it will motivate us to assist a lot of other customers and churn out more solutions for their benefit.

Thanks and have a beautiful year ahead and take care. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Thann,

Please let me know if it worked and have a great day. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP 8035 all in one prints in Red when is should be printing in black.  Also takes all day to copy a document. Photos have streaks and over poor quality.  This is the second copier I took the first one back because it did not do anything right.  Should never have purchased another one.    This is a  4 star printer?  

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.