Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 6988
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Deskjet 6988 has been printing double sided automatically (I have the proper hardware attachment) for the last 3 years. However, when I upgraded to Windows 10, that feature quite working. No drivers are available online (HP site) and the disk that came with my printer won't work with Windows 10. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? I really like my printer and don't believe I should have to buy a new printer to get automatic double sided printing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

On Windows systems, the 'automatic discovery' feature used by some drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is present):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to Installed rather than Not installed.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

If your model does not have a duplex unit fitted (i.e. it is not one of the models with a 'd' suffix), then you can't do automatic duplexing; you can only do manual duplexing (assuming that the printer driver supports this).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey @rgrthumb,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are having some issues with printing two-sided on your Deskjet 6988 All-in-One Printer after upgrading to Windows 10. I can help you with that.

To restore your ability to use two-sided printing:

1. If the printer is connected by a USB cable to your PC, remove it.
  2. In your search bar type in Printers and open Devices and Printers.
  3. Right-click on any icons of your printer listed.
  4. Click on Remove Device.
  5. Repeat for any other icons of your printer listed.
  6. If you removed the USB cable, connect it.

If you connected the USB cable, but your printer did not appear in the list or if the printer is connected through a network:

1. Click on Add Printer at the top.
  2. When you reach the screen asking you to select a printer select HP on the left. On the right, select Deskjet 6988, Deskjet 6980 Series, or a printer with a similar name. If there are no such printers listed, select Deskjet 9800 Printer instead.

Please let me know the results after following the above. If you can print two-sided, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

On Windows systems, the 'automatic discovery' feature used by some drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is present):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to Installed rather than Not installed.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

If your model does not have a duplex unit fitted (i.e. it is not one of the models with a 'd' suffix), then you can't do automatic duplexing; you can only do manual duplexing (assuming that the printer driver supports this).

HP Recommended

This was helpful. I used info you provided after using the info provided by DocCottle. Both steps were necessary, and I now have "double-sided" printing. Thank you for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.